Course navigation methods

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
berin

Course navigation methods

Unread post by berin »

Looking for some practical experience on this.

If I import a route as a gps, is the route followed exactly as imported in Direct Path, regardless of map data, profiles, avoidances, activity etc?

Conversely, if Roads and trails is selected, will it recalculate for the above?

Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Course navigation methods

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The post subject line reads "Course', and the post content reads 'Route', which are not the same thing.

Garmin outdoor handheld navigators traditionally follow routes in straight lines (as the crow flies) from point to point when using 'Direct Routing', and will use available map routing data to guide you based on the devices routing preferences when using any routing method other than 'Direct'.

Routes imported to the GPSr with 'Direct Routing' can be recalculated on the navigator as desired, while routes imported with any other routing method can not be recalculated using map data on the device.

Please see GPSrChive > How To... > Routes and GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Main Menu > Route Planner for additional information.
berin

Unread post by berin »

I am referring to Course Navigation Methods.

Home>setup>routing>course navigation Method> Direct Path or Roads and Trails.

Not the same as Direct Routing.

My question is, if I choose Direct Path does it follow the imported route exactly with no changes. Does Roads and Trails recalculate thus changing the imported route?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The information you seek is located at GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Setup > Routing > Course Navigation Method:
GPSrChive wrote:
  • Direct Path (No map adjustments, No recalculations, Follows course exactly as pinned)
  • Roads & Trails (Adjusts course to follow map data, Recalculates the course as needed, Veers from course as needed)
  • Prompted (User selects desired navigation method each time a course is navigated)

Return to “Montana 7x0”