Altimeter Page vs. Altimeter Dashboard - Why are the X/Y Axis values different?

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Altimeter Page vs. Altimeter Dashboard - Why are the X/Y Axis values different?

Unread post by ConiKost »

I have a question about the Altimeter. You can configure for map view the Altimeter Dashboard (Map View -> Menu -> Map Setup -> Dashboard -> Altimeter). If you now got to map view, you have the Altimeter shown on top of map view. If you click on it, you get to the configured settings. Here you can define the X/Y axis for a user defined length.

If I do set for example X axis to 1000m and Y axis to 25km and return then to map view back, why is now X axis shown with 1250m and Y axis with 20km? Is there some logic I do not understand?

Firmware 13.20.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
arniebarney

Re: Altimeter Page vs. Altimeter Dashboard - Why are the X/Y Axis values different?

Unread post by arniebarney »

I can recreate this as well. Just X and Y axes swap the values you observed. I can only surmise that after making adjustments the dashboard renders the axes according to the different area it has on the map screen vs the setup screen.
Montana 700, Monterra, Oregon 450
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Altimeter Page vs. Altimeter Dashboard - Why are the X/Y Axis values different?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The Altimeter Page plot in the lower pane is divided into a 4x5 grid of equally spaced sections, while the Altimeter Dashboard plot is displayed in a 5x4 grid of equally spaced sections.

This means the Altimeter Dashboard must increase the Altimeter Page 'Y' axis value by 25% and decrease the 'X' axis value by 20% to maintain the same 'scale' or 'ratio' for the entire display.

Return to “Montana 7x0”