doubt buy gpsmap66s

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Natkiter

doubt buy gpsmap66s

Unread post by Natkiter »

Hi. I recently broke my Garmin Oregon 600. And I have doubts which GPS to buy.The most modern is the 66s, but I read that has many errors ... Is that true? can you load Maps that will not be Garmin, right? You recommend me to buy this gpsmap66s? Thank you!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: doubt buy gpsmap66s

Unread post by GPSrChive »

My personal favorite right now is a toss up between the Oregon 7x0 and GPSMAP 66. Both have advantage over the other, but the GPSMAP 66 simply has more features. They are both about the same $$, so it will depend on if you prefer touch screen or not and which features you require!
Natkiter

I do not care whether it is tactile or not ... although I usually do mountaineering with gloves...
What I am most interested in knowing is if they admit External maps to Garmin and if they have as many bugs as the people say.
I understand that functions and precision should be the best ...Advice please! Thank you!
oldkingog

Unread post by oldkingog »

I have the free USA OSM Topo Routable maps of the whole country loaded.

http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable

They are great maps. My 66s does indeed many bugs, but if ever works correctly, I will be super happy with it and its features.
Natkiter

I am very concerned about this issue of errors. I understand that they are software and will have a solution in the future? because if I get lost in the mountains because my GPS fails ...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Natkiter wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 pm I am very concerned about this issue of errors. I understand that they are software and will have a solution in the future? because if I get lost in the mountains because my GPS fails ...
Don't let the GPSr be smarter than you are!

The tool between your ears should still be your primary decision making device!
Natkiter

Of course, but in case of a blizzard on a mountain I want to have my good gps!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”