GPSMAP 66sr Routing Issues

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

Re: GPSMAP 66sr Routing Issues

Unread post by mimichris »

Are you sure that the map is correct with its trail layouts, at what scale is the map ?
Personally, I check my track with a high zoom satellite photo.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

mimichris wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:30 am Are you sure that the map is correct with its trail layouts, at what scale is the map ?
Personally, I check my track with a high zoom satellite photo.
I know what you're talking about.
I am learning this device and I can already see that I had set the track to "auto" for track recording. Only after my return did I see what it meant for the record view. Sometimes the points are tens of seconds apart. Accuracy is hard to expect. As I was walking, I could see that I would sometimes go next to the given course. It can be seen on the map as well, so the paths are not exact. It happened that there were two parallel ones, and there is one on the map. Most walk in wooded terrain and you cannot see the paths from the satellite photos.
How do you set the recording interval?
tuczno.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Nail wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:37 pm How do you set the recording interval?
Please consider GPSrChive > How To... > Profiles for some suggestions.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

I didn't think it could be organized like that.
Good suggestion.
mimichris

For a long time I have put a distance of 10m but I did not find it too precise, I tried to put a time of 3 seconds between each point, so it follows the trails much better. There are almost no straight lines in hairpin turns. Try this!
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Every 1 sec. is too often.
ulice.png
The track is very precise and stays perfectly on the road. I was walking with my dog, so the line is wavy. Sometimes I turned to summon my quadruped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The problem with time based tracking is that even when you slow or stop for any reason, the track log continues to fill with unneeded points, often resulting in a spider web track that requires cleaning up in many places during post processing.

Perhaps with the 66sr Multi-Band enabled, and with auto pause enabled, this will no longer be an issue.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:36 pm Garmin introduced new Off Course Alarms when support for courses was added, and, quite unfortunately, they have not yet provided any documentation about their functionality nor have they included any user configurable settings to control their operation on the device.
It seems that the off-course alarm is not related to the distance, but to the time out of course. You can deviate from the course in a perpendicular line, the faster you move, the further you will get before the alarm sounds.
Have you intervened with Garmin regarding this functionality?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Additional clarification requested from Garmin...
mimichris

I tried the automatic pause in recording mode of the trace in time, it creates laps and it cuts the trace and deletes a small part of the trace, it is understandable since during a lapse of time we do not advance but time him parade..

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”