Register device

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
peem

Register device

Unread post by peem »

Last night I downloaded a list of geocaches to my Oregon 700. Today I headed off into the hills and when I switched it on it's asking me to register the device.
I've had this 700 for nearly 4 years now, I registered it when I first got it and it's been fine until now, so...
Why is it asking me to register again (I can't get past the register screen until I do)?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Register device

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Can you please post a screen capture of the registration screen you are seeing?
peem

Unread post by peem »

Sorry I've been chatting to Garmin (bang, wall, head, spring to mind).
Anyway I don't know how to do screenshots but what I can say is that after a lot of faffing about, when I get to the register device screen which says (I'm typing this as I see it)

Gain access to live geocache data by registering this device with geocaching.com.** To begin the registration process select register device below.'

When I do that it says 'internet connection required' and I click 'setup Wi-Fi.

From there it was failing to connect to my Wi-Fi but I have moved on to the screen where only my wi-fi is showing and when I click on to that I get the options to either 'remove network' (not doing that) or 'connect'.
What happens now is I get one of three screens. One says that I'm already connected, another says connection failed and the third says connecting to (my wi-fi is shown here) but nothing happens.
** It is already registered with geocaching.com. I've been using it with no trouble whatsoever for four years.
I'm sorry I have to go out now. I'm not sure if I'll be back later tonight (UK) or tomorrow.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Sounds like you may have accidentally 'unregistered' the device with Groundspeak, which is a simple fix!

See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Geocaching
peem

Unread post by peem »

Thank you. It appears you're correct and I had somehow unregistered my device. I have no idea how that could happen as it was working fine only two days previously and I hadn't touched it since. All good now though. Thanks again.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”