Total ascent figures [Bug 66]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
robert

Re: Total ascent figures [Bug 66]

Unread post by robert »

I should add, I had Expedition mode turned on and used during this activity, which seemed to work well and still tracked my position accurately as I moved across the terrain
robert

Unread post by robert »

Digging into the GPX file it looks like the summary data added by Garmin recently is where the problem is:

<extensions>
<gpxx:TrackExtension>
<gpxx:DisplayColor>DarkGray</gpxx:DisplayColor>
</gpxx:TrackExtension>
<gpxtrkx:TrackStatsExtension xmlns:gpxtrkx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackStatsExtension/v1">
<gpxtrkx:Distance>22027.009765625</gpxtrkx:Distance>
<gpxtrkx:TimerTime>27023</gpxtrkx:TimerTime>
<gpxtrkx:TotalElapsedTime>27024</gpxtrkx:TotalElapsedTime>
<gpxtrkx:MovingTime>0</gpxtrkx:MovingTime>
<gpxtrkx:Ascent>58</gpxtrkx:Ascent>
<gpxtrkx:Descent>82</gpxtrkx:Descent>
<gpxtrkx:Calories>95</gpxtrkx:Calories>
</gpxtrkx:TrackStatsExtension>
</extensions>

The summary of Ascent and Descent does not match the track points actually recorded. I don't expect the calories to be accurate without a HRM. Checking this thread and Issue 66 I thought this issue was now resolved? Oddly checking the summary of this track on the GPSMAP66 the figures look to be accurate. So it must calculate the Ascent and Descent from the track points and not the summary info used by Basecamp, Garmin Connect and Strava.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We have forwarded Garmin Software Engineers a copy of your tracklog along with the image below that demonstrates the total ascent data discrepancy when viewed in BaseCamp.

BaseCamp Data.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robert

Unread post by robert »

Thanks. Will Issue 66 be marked as not resolved now or is this and new Issue?

FYI. This is less of an issue for me in Basecamp as I very rarely import tracks back into Basecamp. However all my tracks are automatically uploaded into Garmin Connect and it is here the errors are most obvious to me every time I use my GPSMAP 66 for an Activity.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”