Date Stamps in Garmin BaseCamp 'Internal Storage'

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
nmurray

Date Stamps in Garmin BaseCamp 'Internal Storage'

Unread post by nmurray »

Hi,
I have just moved from gpsmap 62s to 66s.

Gpsmap 66s - updated to s/w 9.90
PC - Windows
Garmin BaseCamp s/w 4.7.4

Since I'm new to the 66s, I would appreciate if someone could confirm my understanding is correct.

I connect 'gpsmap 66s' to PC (using UPC) in mass storage mode.

From windows explorer: Garmin GPSMAP 66s
\Garmin\Activities shows activities with DateStamp '2022-03-24'(.fit)
\Garmin\GPX shows Tracks/Waypoints with DateStamp '2022-03-24' (.gpx)

HOWEVER
When I start BaseCamp and open the device 'Internal Storage' (filtering Tracks).
Shows Tracks with DateStamp of '2022-03-24' and '24.03.2022'.

Is this (24.03.2022) BaseCamp's way of displaying an Activity from the gpsmap 66 ?

Sorry but I have tried googling this without success.

Thanks, Neil
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Date Stamps in Garmin BaseCamp 'Internal Storage'

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We just rechecked how our GPSMAP 66s Activities and Tracks are displayed on the device vs in BaseCamp 474, and experienced similar results.

We also found some Activities displayed in BaseCamp using "/" as the separator in the date stamps!

All of the Activities and Tracks/Routes/Waypoints file names on the GPSMAP 66 were consistently using "-" as the date stamp separator.

This suggests BaseCamp is actually displaying 'file name' information taken from within the FIT and GPX files, and not using the actual file name as saved on the device.

BaseCamp does not differentiate between FIT and GPX files, and there is no FIT file filter. Unfortunately, all Activities (FIT) and Tracks (GPX) appear as, well, tracks.

If you want to keep these separated in BaseCamp, you may need to create separate 'Lists' for each, and then import them into BaseCamp manually.
nmurray

Unread post by nmurray »

Thanks for the quick response.

For the time being I have no interest in .fit files so from the 'gpsmap 66' after I have created the Track (.gpx) from the Activity, I'll just delete the Activity.
It's less confusing that way.

Thanks again, Neil
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, same here - No use for the FIT files that Garmin REQUIRE you record (so they can upload all of your travel data for display in their heat mapping services).
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:39 pm Yes, same here - No use for the FIT files that Garmin REQUIRE you record (so they can upload all of your travel data for display in their heat mapping services).
Good to at least now know the reason Garmin does it this way. I am glad that the FIT files show on mine with a different date format. Makes it easier to ignore or delete them.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”