Can't enter lat/long coordinates

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
ivhs72

Can't enter lat/long coordinates

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I recently tried to enter lat/long coordinates into the 66s. When I select Enter Coordinates, it does not let me. It won't access that screen. The only way I have found to correct this is to delete all my stored waypoints. Then I can enter the page to enter coordinates. The first couple of times I tried deleting the waypoints, the device hung and I had to remove the batteries to reset it.

As a reference, I have a 66s (2.80 firmware) with City Navigator and the Garmin 100k Topo DVD on it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Can't enter lat/long coordinates

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Are you marking a waypoint, or navigating to a destination, or....????

Please provide specific key presses and screens that you are moving through to experience this issue!
feraltek

Unread post by feraltek »

On my lost eTrex I could go to the Waypoint Manager screen and create a waypoint by entering lat/long, select a symbol and give it a name. Can't do that on the 66S, or if it can be done I haven't yet discovered how to do it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

feraltek wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:00 am On my lost eTrex I could go to the Waypoint Manager screen and create a waypoint by entering lat/long, select a symbol and give it a name. Can't do that on the 66S, or if it can be done I haven't yet discovered how to do it.
Just press 'Mark' and edit away!
feraltek

Unread post by feraltek »

Didn't think of that because the cursor was sitting on "Save". I assumed that was the only choice. Instead, up arrow to whichever field I want to edit. I get lots of practice at asking dumb questions. Thanks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

feraltek wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:22 pm Didn't think of that because the cursor was sitting on "Save". I assumed that was the only choice. Instead, up arrow to whichever field I want to edit. I get lots of practice at asking dumb questions. Thanks.
No problem!

I'll get that added to the wiki some day!

Oh, wait, it already is!

See Pages > Mark

8^)
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:52 am Are you marking a waypoint, or navigating to a destination, or....????

Please provide specific key presses and screens that you are moving through to experience this issue!
From any menu, I hit the Find Key. One of the selections on that page is Coordinates. On that page you are supposed to be able to enter the lat/long coordinates, and get a direction and distance. When I select it, nothing happens. Nothing will happened until I delete all the waypoints using waypoint manager. Then I can manually enter the lat/long of where I want to go.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 am
gpsrchive wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:52 am Are you marking a waypoint, or navigating to a destination, or....????

From any menu, I hit the Find Key. One of the selections on that page is Coordinates. On that page you are supposed to be able to enter the lat/long coordinates, and get a direction and distance. When I select it, nothing happens. Nothing will happened until I delete all the waypoints using waypoint manager. Then I can manually enter the lat/long of where I want to go.
I am unable top duplicate this.

How many waypoints do you have loaded on your GPSMAP 66?

Can you try using a different Profile and see if that resolves the issue?
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am
ivhs72 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 am

I am unable top duplicate this.

How many waypoints do you have loaded on your GPSMAP 66?

Can you try using a different Profile and see if that resolves the issue?

The only waypoints I have on the device are the ones that are installed by geocaching pocket queries and the City Navigator. I have the map and the geocaches installed on a microSD card, and even with it removed, they waypoints still show up. The problem I'm having is it seems to lock up when I try deleting all waypoints.

I have tried in both the Hike and Geocache profiles (I've deleted the other profiles since I most likely will never use them).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

OK, well, removing all user data (files you installed) and performing a Master Reset then starting fresh may be the next logical step.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”