Crazy Temporary Screen Bug

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
toadie

Crazy Temporary Screen Bug

Unread post by toadie »

I have my hardware button set to turn the screen off (single click)
I paired my phone with bluetooth.
I swiped down to access the screen brightness setting screen.
I set my brightness to off.
I then pressed the hardware button to turn the screen off.
A few seconds later, I pressed the hardware button to turn the screen on.

The screen came back on very dim (much dimmer than the standard "low" brightness) and with this crazy pattern. The pattern remained no matter what I did.

I then shut down the unit by pressing long-pressing the hardware button. One thing I noticed was that the "power" icon that shows up when shutting down was a lot longer than usual.

After waiting about 10 seconds, I restarted the unit and the unit restarted with no problems.

No idea if I can recreate this, but I have the photo evidence!
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConiKost

Re: Crazy Temporary Screen Bug

Unread post by ConiKost »

I can't reproduce.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Too bad you were unable to take screen captures on the device, this would provide clues about if the issue was with the display or display driver.
toadie

Unread post by toadie »

I'll definitely take a screen shot next time I reproduce it!

I have found one very repeatable screen brightness bug:

1. If you use the slider to adjust the brightness, the lowest brightness you can achieve is about "medium brightness". This is much brighter than I would have expected at the lowest slider brightness.
2. If you use the slider to set the brightness to "off" then press the "brightness button" underneath the slider, the first brightness setting is extremely dim. This is the expected brightness from being at the lowest slider setting.

What this tells me is that using the slider to set the brightness can only bring the brightness down to about 50%.
ConiKost

I am able to reproduce the brightness. Using manual control results always in a higher brightness at minimal setting than using the preset setting at minimal.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ConiKost wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:16 pm I am able to reproduce the brightness. Using manual control results always in a higher brightness at minimal setting than using the preset setting at minimal.
I suspect the much lower display brightness you are experiencing when configuring the backlight via presets vs moving the slider manually is actually the Night Vision setting. I believe this to be the intended operation, and not a bug.

Please reference: GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Operation > Status Page > Screen Brightness.
toadie

Unread post by toadie »

nightvision setting? As James Bond once said to Q branch, "you must be joking..." :lol:

If this is a real thing "nightvision mode" isn't mentioned anywhere in the documentation. If it's a real feature, it behaves more like a bug to be honest.

I like the ability to dial down the brightness to that super-dim level, but it would be nice to be able to do that with the slider, and also unlock all the levels of brightness in between.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

toadie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:33 pm nightvision setting? As James Bond once said to Q branch, "you must be joking..." :lol:

If this is a real thing?

Yes, 'Night Vision' is a real thing, and is available on many of Garmin's current devices, including the just released MINI 2. The 'Night Vision' setting configures the backlight to a very low illuminance that is compatible with most night vision goggles.

toadie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:33 pm If this is a real thing "nightvision mode" isn't mentioned anywhere in the documentation.

Night Vision is mentioned at GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Operation > Status Page > Screen Brightness.
ConiKost

While I understand the idea, I think, it's a bit unlucky, that NV is shown in bar with the same minimal setting "bar height", as manually done. I think, this should have been appear different, so someone knows, when NV is enabled :-)

Return to “Montana 7x0”