JaVaWa programmes

Post your GPSrChive.com requests here
KiwiGPS

JaVaWa programmes

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

Hi, I've used JaVaWa GMTK and JaVaWa Device Manager for about 10 years - it's extremely handy for Garmin users.

Can a link to their software be added to the list? https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

It's no longer being developed but all the same, is well worth knowing about. Thank you for this site too :)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: JaVaWa programmes

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Which list would you like it added to?

We currently recommend many JaVaWa software titles, and links can be found at:

GPSrChive > How To... > Software

or

GPSrChive > {any GPSr model} > Software

:D
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

Oops, thank you - I had scanned those lists very quickly, looking for JaVaWa.
Last edited by KiwiGPS on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Easy to miss, we list the JaVaWa before any other software for both PC and Mac!

;)
javawa

Unread post by javawa »

I happened to stumble on this topic and found out that the list of programs isn't actual anymore. Not only my programs, but also those from others.
So I created an account for myself (I've got some issues when registering, the forum told me that my user name and e-mail address were in use already?) and made a list of programs or websites that aren't available anymore.

JaVaWa software:
  • Waypoints2Track, POImaker and MacGPX are not available anymore, they are superseded by JaVaWa RTWtool.
  • Most of my programs for Mac are 32 bit (with the exception of CleanEject, IMGname and IMGinfo) and therefore don't work anymore on recent Macs. Also JaVaWa Device Manager (both Win and Mac) cannot access MTP-only devices, like the new GPSMAP 67 and eTrex SE. My programs won't be updated anymore (because of health reasons), but I'm still maintaining the web tools.
Garmin software:
  • Communicator, RoadTrip, HomePort, VoiceStudio and Training Center can't be downloaded from their site anymore. Especially Communicator is very obsolete now, because no modern web browser will support it. RoadTrip was the predecessor of BaseCamp and was very limited in capabilities. You could update the URLs to the other programs, but I don't know where to find a copy HomePort or VoiceStudio. Training Center can be found on my website.
  • Lifetime Map Updater can be downloaded, MapUpdater not, but both are replaced by Express. The old programs probably do not work anymore (but I'm not sure of that).
  • The link to MapManager is a really old version, the latest one comes together with MapInstall.
Other software: The URLs to the following programs/websites don't work anymore:

MyGeocachingManager, CacheBox, MyTrax, GPS Track Editor, CourseCompacter, ITNConverter, Breadcrumbs, and both items under Windows Mobile Software
My Garmin GPS collection: https://www.javawa.nl/collectie.html
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Welcome to GPSrChive, JaVaWa!

We are so happy to have you here! So many of us have very much enjoyed the benefits of your software in the past and still today!

Thank you for bringing these Software page details to our attention, they will need some updating.

We look forward to seeing your posts here at GPSrChive in the future!
javawa

Unread post by javawa »

Thanks for the welcome!
I'll try to contribute some useful info, however it looks like this forum is more geared to recent/new Garmin outdoor devices; I'm more into the old stuff...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

It will be really great to have your technical experience available, especially for those of us still using older devices!

Thank you for contributing!

What are your favorite 'older' devices?
javawa

Unread post by javawa »

Favorites? Maybe the GPS 100, very basic but easier to operate than its successors or the GPS 12 with an impressive satellite signal reception for an old device. The Geko is also impressive for such a small device, or maybe the Colorado with its clear screen and weird controls...
But to be honest the ones that are used frequently aren't that old: the Vivoactive 4 is my daily wear and for outdoor activities the Oregon 700 is the favorite one.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I do not have a GPS 100 or GPS 12 in my collection yet, but may have to add them soon for study purposes. It is fun to experiment with much older devices and compare to modern equipment. I do have nearly a dozen of the Geko x00 series devices - they were very capable for their size when released. The Colorado was my first Garmin GPSr, and I still contend the Oregon 7x0 is the best bang for the buck device Garmin have produced to date, and I am so disappointed to see the Oregon line discontinued without a replacement.

Return to “GPSrChive Request”