GPSMap 60csx Update firmware without serial cable?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 60 series GPSr
skinnie

GPSMap 60csx Update firmware without serial cable?

Unread post by skinnie »

Hello all,
Hope you are doing well.
Just bouhgt a Gpsmap 60csx.
It came with regular mini usb cable but not the serial cable.
The firmware updater doesn't detect the device, so I assume it needs a serial cable, right?
I was able to extract the firmware and have the .rgn file, can't I put it on sdcard and let the gps deal with the update?

Thank you for you help
Kind Regards
skinnie

Re: GPSMap 60csx Update firmware without serial cable?

Unread post by skinnie »

ups...realized I needed usb drivers...and that we can't update legacy drivers using windows 10...
It gives error...
If anyone has a technique to do it, please share. otherwise I will try to have a virtual machine or another computer (not easy at the moment)
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

Tried with virtualbox with virtualmachine with windows XP and no go.
has anyone had sucessfully update the firmware of this unit with virtual machine or win10?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You will have to use the correct serial cable (available from the GPSrChive Store) connected to the device with the Garmin Updater software to install the firmware update. The 60 series does not have mass storage mode for the device (which has the operating system) and therefore you can not simply copy and past an update file to memory and have it update on the next boot.

Which firmware is currently loaded? Does it have an "M" suffix?
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

Thank you for the information.
Kinda bizarre that the 4.0 firmware updater software here has a section for usb devices, and detects the 60csx…but after a while it says connection dropped.
And the webupdater here does the same.

It has the firmware 3.5 and as per the box and boot it is a sirf version
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

It has been a long time since we updated any of our legacy devices, all of which have the most recent firmware versions installed. If memory serves, Windows 10 has a USB timing issue that creates connection problems with some legacy devices. We purchased a Tripp Lite USB to Serial Adapter (now also in the GPSrChive Store) just for such occasions.

We just tested again with one of our GPSMAP 60 series units using the Tripp Lite serial adapter and a Garmin Serial Cable, and were able to successfully flash a firmware update via 'Serial Port' option using the unzipped 'Updater' that is included with the Garmin update file.

BTW, we did test some less expensive USB to Serial adapters and found them to be very flaky and unreliable. A loss of communication during flash usually results in a permanently bricked device.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:21 am It has been a long time since we updated any of our legacy devices, all of which have the most recent firmware versions installed. If memory serves, Windows 10 has a USB timing issue that creates connection problems with some legacy devices. We purchased a Tripp Lite USB to Serial Adapter (now also in the GPSrChive Store) just for such occasions.

We just tested again with one of our GPSMAP 60 series units using the Tripp Lite serial adapter and a Garmin Serial Cable, and were able to successfully flash a firmware update via 'Serial Port' option using the unzipped 'Updater' that is included with the Garmin update file.

BTW, we did test some less expensive USB to Serial adapters and found them to be very flaky and unreliable. A loss of communication during flash usually results in a permanently bricked device.
Thank you a lot for taking time to test the device with serial adapter.
Today I got acess to a Mac running Catalina was able to sucessfully update the device using the mini usb cable.
It took about 3-4 tries and at the end it gave connection error, but the gps booted just fine with the software 4.0 and seems to be working fine.
Once more, thanks a lot for your precious help.

Return to “GPSMAP 60”