My GPSMAP 65s walks like a zombie

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
tommygps

My GPSMAP 65s walks like a zombie

Unread post by tommygps »

When simulating routes, my GPSMAP 65s takes wrong turns and moves away from the destination. The sequence is as follows:

Polish_20211214_193801933.jpg

It kind of matches the horror look of Garmin TopoActive maps on this device.

Unfortunately, the same thing happens with third party maps on my GPSMAP 65s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: My GPSMAP 65s walks like a zombie

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Took me a few minutes to figure out exactly where you were simulating that route, but I think this is it?

Buckingham Gate Route.png

What happens when actually walking the same route (No Simulation)?

What happens if you test with different routing methods (Hiking, Cycling, etc.)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tommygps

That was a randomly picked location after experiencing the same strange behaviour in other places. When actually walking the route, I would follow the directions as displayed on the screen, so the blue arrow would move along the magenta line.

I have just tested the Hiking routing method in another random location (both Minimise Distance and Minimise Time), and the simulations didn't make any sense. After briefly following the calculated route, the device 'turned around' and 'walked away' from the destination:

h0sgb2s.jpg

Cycling routing worked fine (and one-way streets seemed to be taken into account) but only until the device reached the destination. Instead of stopping, it took a few random turns and 'cycled away'.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

So this issue only exists when 'Simulating Navigation'?
tommygps

Thank you for looking into this problem, I appreciate it.

Yes, when simulating Pedestrian Walking or Hiking, my GPSMAP 65s takes wrong turns and the blue arrow moves away from the destination. As seen in the screenshot attached to the first post, the device was in Demo Mode Simulating. I did not see a problem when using the Satellite System as in this case the arrow correctly indicated my real position.

The problem occurs after selecting "Do you want to simulate driving this route? - Yes" (btw it always reads "driving" no matter which routing method is selected, maybe this is as intended). However, I consistently wasn't able to save a screen capture of this setting (unlike with other screens, a capture of this screen never got saved to Garmin\scrn on the GPSMAP 65s, and I have verified this again). Moreover, the QUIT and PAGE buttons do not work on this screen. Maybe these are additional bugs in the software and I should have mentioned it, but they do not bother me as much as the zombie simulations and radiant colours of TopoActive maps with the current firmware version (4.40).

Return to “GPSMAP 65”