Durability of the battery lid for Garmin devices (GPSMAP series)

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 62 series GPSr
pokyyy

Durability of the battery lid for Garmin devices (GPSMAP series)

Unread post by pokyyy »

I am not sure where this needs to be posted.

What is the general opinion on the durability and longevity of the battery lid on any Garmin device, in particular the GPSMap series? Do they tend to get loose after a while or not lock properly?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Durability of the battery lid for Garmin devices (GPSMAP series)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I do not recall ever seeing anyone report any issues with the battery cover on the GPSMAP 6x series, or any other save one report from a user that found some light corrosion around the bayonet locking mechanism after not rinsing it off following salt water exposure. Even then, the unit was still sealed and no liquid breached the battery cover seal.

What prompts your question?
pokyyy

Re: Durability of the battery lid for Garmin devices (GPSMAP series)

Unread post by pokyyy »

Thank you.

I started thinking about this after I got my 65s (I used to have 66i). I generally prefer the ability to change the batteries myself and charge outside the unit with a high quality charger but as more and more units now come with built in batteries it has made me think whether this constant opening and closing of the lid will eventually lead to some sort of closure failure, compromising the waterproofness of the unit. The lid certainly looks well made; the parts that engage are made of metal.

Return to “GPSMAP 62”