Oregon 650 > Where To? > Address > State search broken with OTM map installed

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 6x0 series GPSr
lodcomm

Oregon 650 > Where To? > Address > State search broken with OTM map installed

Unread post by lodcomm »

Greetings Folks,

I have an Issue with my Oregon 650. I currently have the Northeast 24K Garmin topo map, and northeast region Open Street Maps installed on the external SD card in the Garmin Folder. The Garmin Northeast 24K is named gmapsupp.img, the open Street map is named OSM.img. I can boot up the Oregon, and select "where to->Address" and the Oregon prompts for the "State", and allows me to enter a state, say Connecticut... then proceeds on to city, and street, etc..

The problem I am having is when I attempt to add an Open Topo Map (downloaded from: opentopomap.org). I place the opentopo.img in the external SD Garmin folder along with the other two .img files, boot up the Oregon, and the Open topo shows available in the "configure maps-->enable" menu. Now, when I select "where to-->Address", the Oregon no longer prompts for a "State" it goes directly to "Country" (where I can select either USA or Canada, and then directly to "City", no option for selecting which state. Going into the Configure maps and disabling the OpenTopoMap makes no difference at all. The only way to get the "Enter state" functionality back it to go in manually to the SD card, and remove/delete the OpenTopoMap from the Garmin folder. Once that is done and the Oregon is power cycled, The "where-to-->address-->state" functionality is restored.

Anyone have any Ideas on where I a going wrong here and/or any suggestions for getting it working with the three maps?

Thanks!

-t
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Oregon 650 > Where To? > Address > State search broken with OTM map installed

Unread post by GPSrChive »

This is clearly related to how the data in the opentopomap is configured. It may have internal ID identical or similar to your OSM map, creating an issue where the GPSr believes they are both part of the same map, and it seems likely the opentopomap does not include state border data, creating the conflict you are experiencing.

Have you tested with only the opentopomap installed and enabled?

Without going into a lot of detail, many, if not most third party Garmin map authors use the same software to compile their maps without making any effort to create a unique identification for their map data.

You may have to contact the creators of the opentopomap and ask them if they can correct the conflict with the next version of their map.

Re: Oregon 650 > Where To? > Address > State search broken with OTM map installed

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.

Have you noticed that opentopomap states the following on this page:
garmin.opentopomap.org wrote: Special features:
  • Clear topographic map style similar to the OpenTopoMap online map
  • Hillshade and elevation map included
  • Opening hours in the POI information (but breaking address search)
  • Routing capability
  • Contour lines as optional layer
There are many other similar maps which you could try, see this page for examples.
lodcomm

Unread post by lodcomm »

Thanks Everyone kindly for the quick replies. I had not seen that "Breaking Address Search" which is exactly what was happening.

I am going to update the Garmin Northeast24K to the most recent, and I do use the Open Street Map along with it.

Thanks Again!

-t

Return to “Oregon 6x0”