BaseCamp can not delete device activities

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
il_pippi

BaseCamp can not delete device activities

Unread post by il_pippi »

Hello to all,
is someone able to explain how to delete an activity stored/registered in a device using BaseCamp ?

I tried connecting both my epix and gpsmap66 but only able to delete waypoints, not the listed activities: only way is to delete manually from devide menu, one by one. A little bit boring.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: BaseCamp can not delete device activities

Unread post by GPSrChive »

While BaseCamp will display Activities (FIT files) from your Garmin GPSr, it is unable to differentiate between them and Tracks (GPX files), and will display them all in your folders and lists using the exact same icon.

I do not use BaseCamp, or any other software, to manage data on my Garmin Devices. I simply cut, copy, paste and delete files as desired manually within windows explorer on my PC. I only use BaseCamp to view and group data on my PC.

You can find your individually saved 'Activities' in the 'Garmin/Activities/' directory on your Garmin GPSr.
il_pippi

Unread post by il_pippi »

Yes, that's what i do.
Simply wondering why it makes differences between possibility to delete waypoints and NOT deleting activities.

Thansk, as usual :)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Probably only Garmin software engineers know for certain, but on all devices, recording GPX can be disabled while FIT files can not be disabled. All devices always record FIT files because this is how Garmin tracks you. These are the files they use to build their heat maps and other cloud databases. These are the files that are sent to Connect, etc.

GPX recording is optional. FIT file recording is mandatory.

This may or may not have some bearing on why BaseCamp will not delete those files. It may also be a limitation due to BaseCamp being quite old now, and not having any meaningful updates for many years.

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”