Blue Pin disease using routes with Garmin Oregon 700

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
sussex53

Blue Pin disease using routes with Garmin Oregon 700

Unread post by sussex53 »

Hi,
I have tried to follow previous instructions on this site about changing the default blue pin which obliterates the map to another custom waypoint without success when I create a route in Basecamp and send it to my Oregon.
I have created bitmaps measuring 32 x 32 pixels and named them according to the recommended convention and uploaded them to my PC and Oregon but every time I always get the default blue pin.
In my Garmin, on my PC, Docs, My Garmin, Custom Waypoint Symbols, there are 8 PNG icons, blue circles, named 000 – 007, each 16 x 16, 300 bytes.
On my Garmin, the Custom Symbols folder shows nothing in it, no symbols at all.
Can anyone please advise what I need to do to cure this disease so that I can see the base map instead of a forest of blue pins? Do I need to create PNG symbols instead of bitmaps, do I also need to remove all the 8 PNG custom symbols in My Garmin on my PC?
Many thanks in expectation!
Cheers :)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Blue Pin disease using routes with Garmin Oregon 700

Unread post by GPSrChive »

sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am Hi,
I have tried to follow previous instructions on this site about changing the default blue pin which obliterates the map to another custom waypoint without success when I create a route in Basecamp and send it to my Oregon.
Which page are you referring to?

The GPSrChive Custom Waypoint Symbol tutorial can be found at GPSrChive > How To... > Waypoints > Custom Waypoint Symbols,

or, from any GPSrChive > {GPSr model} page by selecting Über User > Custom Symbols.
sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am I have created bitmaps measuring 32 x 32 pixels and named them according to the recommended convention and uploaded them to my PC and Oregon but every time I always get the default blue pin.
Sounds like something is not quite right!
sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am In my Garmin, on my PC, Docs, My Garmin, Custom Waypoint Symbols, there are 8 PNG icons, blue circles, named 000 – 007, each 16 x 16, 300 bytes.
Where did these come from? You just stated you created 32x32 bitmap symbols.

There are no directions in GPSrChive that instruct the user to use PNG symbols.
GPSrChive Custom Waypoint Symbols wrote: Waypoint symbols should be saved in a 24-bit Windows-style bitmap format (*.bmp).
You will need to recreate those symbols in bitmap format.
sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am On my Garmin, the Custom Symbols folder shows nothing in it, no symbols at all.
I do not understand how this can be possible after:
sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am I have created bitmaps measuring 32 x 32 pixels and named them according to the recommended convention and uploaded them to my PC and Oregon.
There is a lot of contradictory information in your post.

First you state you have already uploaded bitmaps to both the PC and GPSr, yet you find PNG symbols in the PC directory and nothing in the GPSr directory?

How can this be?
sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am Can anyone please advise what I need to do to cure this disease so that I can see the base map instead of a forest of blue pins?
Yes.

Follow the directions on the page listed above, precisely, step by step, to create a 'Pin, Blue.bmp' custom symbol, or download a pre-made symbol from the GPSRChive Custom Symbol Repository (link at the bottom of the Custom Waypoint Symbol tutorial)
sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am Do I need to create PNG symbols instead of bitmaps?
Another contradicting question.

You stated earlier that you are already using PNG symbols without success.
sussex53 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am Do I also need to remove all the 8 PNG custom symbols in My Garmin on my PC?
Yes.
sussex53

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I did not create any PNG icons for my Garmin Oregon 700, they were in the My Garmin, Custom Waypoint Symbols folder, I have never added anything new to this folder which I have not removed as any new icon I have ever created did not work.
I have now created a 29 x 29 pixel size 24-bit BMP, named it "Pin, Blue", uploaded it to My Garmin folder, removing the default 8 PNG files so my new icon is the only thing in the folder, and also uploaded it to my Custom Waypoints folder on my Garmin which was empty. I have uploaded a route to my Garmin plotted on Basecamp, and, all the waypoints are still displaying as blue pins!
When viewing the new route in Basecamp it shows it on the base map with blue flags for the waypoints, not blue pins! Do I need to change these flags?
I've attached the new Pin, Blue.bmp icon I created in case this is the cause of the problem.
Would be happy to concede that I might still not be following instructions due to frustration! :(
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

That BMP is 8-bit.

It needs to be 24-bit for waypoint symbols. (8-bit are for POI symbols)

Also, the transparent color needs to be Magenta (255, 0, 255). Your BMP is using (191, 0, 189), which will NOT be transparent.

Yes, you may also need to copy and rename as 'Flag, Blue.bmp' to replace the blue flag symbol.

Try this one:

Pin, Blue.bmp

You can always verify a custom symbol is working (or not) on your GPSr by opening any Waypoint to edit the symbol, then scrolling to the page with that waypoint symbol to see if the newly loaded version is displayed there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sussex53

Doh!!!!!! :-(
THANKS A MILLION!!!!!! :-)
Your 24-bit bmp icon works a treat - no more blue pins obliterating my maps!!! Yippee!!!
I did create what my software called a 24-bit BMP, clearly it was not!!!
The waypoints are now virtually invisible tiny square numbered dots along the purple line of the route. FANTASTIC!!
I've been struggling with this for ages and losing more hair in the process!! Resolved at last!
Many, many thanks!!!
Cheers :-) :-)

Return to “Oregon 7x0”