Oregon 7x0 Firmware 5.20

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Oregon 7x0 Firmware 5.20

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, that includes the 'vanishing geocache data' too!

FWIW, we finally updated a second Oregon 7x0 to v520 last night and that device had zero issues. Seems the first unit we updated just did not like the update much, but the Master Reset seems to have solved that!
Mars Express

Unread post by Mars Express »

Sadly I do have also data retention problems, albeit not all the time. All geocaches disappeared from the list, the ggz file is still there but the sqlite database is empty. But that's not all I'm afraid, after a reboot it will load the .ggz file but the device will not start but keeps hanging in the startup screens ('loading maps'). When I delete the .ggz file (rename the extension) the gps boots just fine.

Ive been experimenting this morning and hadn't any problems until I enabled Wifi an registered my geocaching account. This can be coincidental, but who knows.

I've restored the profile files with unaltered files from backup hoping in doing so to restore the settings but it didn't help though. Only resort was a factory reset..

For now I've reverted back to 5.00 (thanks for having the older firmware copies on this site!).. and will wait if other people have the same problems..
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the report!

v5.20 has so many new features, I would suggest since the mater rest, updating again to v5.20 and see if you still have issues.

The Master Reset seemed to cure our Oregon 7x0...
Mars Express

Thanks, and I will in a few days, but after the master reset the problems returned.. I came from firmware v3.30 though (I bought this device second hand from someone who didn't use it) and went straight to version 5.20. That shouldn't be a problem of course, but sometimes newer versions only work because of some initialization of a preceding version...

Haven't had any issues with v5.0 so I think the device is hardware wise ok.
Mars Express

I've loaded v5.20 again a few days ago and all seems ok now..
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Good to hear!
Mars Express

Re: Oregon 7x0 Firmware 5.20 [Bug 86]

Yes, well I'm not too enthusiastic about the new geocaching functionality though. Sure it's more convenient that you now can lookup the waypoints belonging to the cache, but if you want to go this waypoint it leaves the selected geocache and is just navigating as before to the selected waypoint. I would have preferred this working the same way as when you enter a coordinate in the cache menu page, but maybe my workflow falls short?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the heads up! This behavior is not the same as the Montana 7x0, which retains the parent geocache as final destination. We have contacted Garmin software engineers to make them aware!
Mars Express

ah great, much appreciated!
Mars Express

pity, this had not been solved with fw 5.30.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”