Disappearing Pocket Query

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
beedaddy

Disappearing Pocket Query

Unread post by beedaddy »

I put a pocket query .gpx file with about 600 geocaches on my GPSMAP 65s (sdcard). I noticed that the following boot process takes very long, about 1:15 min. Sometimes I can then see the geocaches and I'm able to select them as destination. But after a reboot, they're gone. But sometimes, I can't even see them once. The boot process just takes a lot of time and there's no single geocache to see.

When I put the same pocket query into the internal storage, the boot process is faster but the problem with the disappearing geocaches is still there.

Can someone confirm this issue?
Is there something more I can do to debug this?

(Software version 3.20)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Disappearing Pocket Query

Unread post by GPSrChive »

When you say "I can not see them", where are you looking?

Geocache List? or Map?

Please send a copy of your GPX file to webmaster at gpsrchive dot com
beedaddy

gpsrchive wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:11 pm When you say "I can not see them", where are you looking?

Geocache List? or Map?
Both. They don't appear on the map and when I press FIND there isn't even a geocache option (I guess because the list is empty).
gpsrchive wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:11 pmPlease send a copy of your GPX file to webmaster at gpsrchive dot com
Ok, no problem.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

What folder are you putting them in? Also, a dumb question, when you are putting them on the device, are you unzipping them? PQs with more than 499 caches are zipped.

Does the 65s come with preloaded geocaches, in the .ggz folder?
beedaddy

ivhs72 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:36 pm What folder are you putting them in?
Garmin\GPX
ivhs72 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:36 pmAlso, a dumb question, when you are putting them on the device, are you unzipping them? PQs with more than 499 caches are zipped.
Yes, I unzip them beforehand. The .gpx file has about 4MB after unzipping.
ivhs72 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:36 pm Does the 65s come with preloaded geocaches, in the .ggz folder?
No. No preloaded geocaches.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

@BeeDaddy

We received the PQ and have been testing for several hours.

The good news is that we have not been able to duplicate your observations.

The bad news is we are not in the same location as you are, with all the same settings and additional files or data loaded to our GPSMAP 65s, so we can not duplicate your exact circumstances.

Also, our GPSMAP 65s came with a newer firmware version. There have been no updates yet for this device, so we suspect a new firmware update will likely be released soon.

Please retest again after Garmin provide an update for the GPSMAP 65s and report your results here.

Thank You!
beedaddy

Thanks for your efforts. I had a chat with Garmin and they will investigate, too.

Of course I will retest as soon as a new version is available.

(Btw, I find it weird that I've an older firmware version and there's no update available. I was told that theoretically – not necessarily in this case – it might be possible to have a different version because of a different hardware component they've used.)
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I just got mine today. What version of firmware do you have, and I'll see what mine has.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I fired it up, and it shows that I have 3.20 software on it. :shock:

I took the microSD from my 64sx and put it in the 65s. The first time I turned it on, it took about 10-12 minutes to update waypoints (but then I have quite a few PQs on it). I then tried turning it on/off several times, and each time it took less than a minute to boot up. That's an improvement over the 64sx which would take up to 10 every time I turned it to update waypoints.

I did notice that as far as displaying geocaches, it doesn't seem to display them until you're zoomed in to at least .2 miles. It might have something to do with the detail setting on the Map setup, I'll mess with that later this week.

So far I'm not seeing much difference between it and the 64sx but I'll test it out over the next few days to see if I notice anything different.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The 65 is a essentially an evolution of the 64 with better GPS precision, more memory, and TopoActive maps pre-installed, so not much is different.

You will need to adjust the map zoom level to where you want the geocaches to be displayed in the Map setup menu.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”