How to customize geocache symbols on my GPSMAP 64sx

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
factotem

How to customize geocache symbols on my GPSMAP 64sx

Unread post by factotem »

Whilst I refer to the model it is a fairly generic question.
Whilst browsing Basecamp I came across the feature of icon customisation and expansion which particularly interested me as a means further identification of geocache types. I have a series of compatible icons previously used with Memory Map and later with Viewranger (Android).
I dislike Basecamp having never got to grips with it I use GSAK and a macro within to tweak the gpx file but I could not get to work on my garmin so I went back to basics,

I have placed two icons as follows:
Garmin GPSMAP 64sx (H:) > Garmin > CustomSymbols > Letterbox.bmp (yours with name change)
Micro.bmp (mine)

000---0000
I then took a standard gpx file and using Notepad made the following changes to <sym>Geocache</sym>

<name>GCaaaaa</name>
<desc></desc>
<url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 73a04</url>
<urlname>aaaa by Cache n' walk</urlname>
<sym>Micro</sym>
<type>Geocache|Traditional Cache</type>

And

<name>GCabab</name>
<desc></desc>
<url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 73a04</url>
<urlname>ABAB by Cache n' walk</urlname>
<sym>Letterbox</sym>
<type>Geocache|Traditional Cache</type>

I would have expected that to work but it remains showing a geocache symbol in the file list and also on the map.
Any ideas welcome, thanks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: How to customize geocache symbols on my GPSMAP 64sx

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I believe the issue you are experiencing comes down to Garmin only supporting a handful of geocache types.

If you wanted to use those same <sym></sym> tags for a waypoint, for example, the custom symbol you specified would be displayed, but because these are geocaches, only a few very specific symbol names are allowed by the GPSr, with the default geocache.bmp symbol being displayed if the specified symbol is not recognized.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”