3 Axis Compass Acting Strange

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
luvvinbird

3 Axis Compass Acting Strange

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I just knew I wouldn't get away with having my new 66st behaving perfectly, lol. But here's a strange one. I've recalibrated the compass numerous times and all attempts are successful. But, while the device is hoizontal in my hand, EAST reads WEST....completely opposite. However, If I hold the device vertical, the display appears correct. Completely different readings from horizontal and vertical. The compass behaves normally when moving along quickly as in my car, for example. All other aspects of the unit are fine. I've updated both my 66s and this one to V 4.10, GPS software 2.70. No problems with the 66s, so I don't believe the problem is update related. Looking forward to your replies. Regards.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 3 Axis Compass Acting Strange

Unread post by GPSrChive »

OK, two device running identical firmware?

First, try using different profile and let us know if that changes anything?
luvvinbird

Yes, both my 66s and 66st have GPS software at 2.70 and the latest firmware at 4.10. I changed to every profile and got the same results. Here's where it gets weird. When in a horizontal position flat in the palm of my hand, I can rotate the device 360 degrees and "sw W nw" always point to the top (antenna) of the device throughout the entire rotation. Whereas, when held vertically and rotated 360 degrees, N changes to E to S to W and back to N. It's as though, when horizontal, the compass is locked onto West while pointing in any direction. I did the same tests with my 66s with normal results.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Can you make a short video and post to u-tube and post link?
luvvinbird

Yes. I think I could do that but it may not be right away. I very much appreciate your response and your desire to help, as your terrific team has always done. Unfortunately, tomorrow will be another full day of searching for toilet paper and trying to cope, as we all are, making this GPSr problem rather insignificant. I was hoping, of course, it would be a quick fix. But, I definately will do as you request so as not to waste your valuable time either. Best regards.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We'll keep the lights on for you...

8^)
luvvinbird

Hello all. I decided to contact Garmin Product Support and was pleased with their response to my concern. I was able to convincingly explain the issue whereupon they asked for the Garmin Device.XML file. A few days later I received an email from them which suggested I return the device, as it was a hardware issue. The device has been returned. Here's hoping for better luck with the next one, lol. Thank you for your help.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

THank you for the update!

Let us know how the new/replacement unit works out!
hgabert

Unread post by hgabert »

Happened to me as well (just yesterday). GPSMap 66st, fw 3.4, sw 2.7. Turned the unit off, walked a couple of feet, turned the unit back on and re-calibrated the compass right away. So far, so good.

I haven't updated to fw 4.1 yet - - hesitating because of the reports re: screen flicker. Is that a wide-spread problem? Interested to get some feedback.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I am only aware of this one report about screen flicker. Otherwise, 4.10 is more beneficial than not.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”