DMS to UTM conversion

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
dmb1319

DMS to UTM conversion

Unread post by dmb1319 »

Sometime in the not-too-distant future, it will be handy for me to have an EASY way to convert GPS coordinates in DMS format to UTM. IE, I will need to be able to quickly, ACCURATELY and EASILY convert something like

N41 29' 41'94" W113 38'27.96"
to UTM:
12T 279540 4597075

I know I can change the Position Format in settings, but for the number of times I'll have to repeat this in a day, this is not practical. I searched for a data field to display the current position in UTM format on the map, but could not find one. Also, I suspect that any data field for current position will display it in the format set for Position Format in settings.

I would LIKE to avoid having to get an app for my phone for this, but that is beginning to look like my best solution. I need Excel for very simple math so there's no way I'll be converting it in my head or even with pencil and paper. Do I need to find an app for my phone?
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: DMS to UTM conversion

Unread post by GPSrChive »

How about this solutiion?

1. Create a new profile, or use an existing profile.
2. Configure Setup > Position Format = UTM.
3. Configure a Trip Computer page to display two data fields.
4. Set one data field to display Location (selected).
5. Set the other data field to display Location (lat/lon).

Instant live conversion!
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

I must be missing something. First, I have a Montana 600. So if you're using a 610/680 or some other later model I think the firmware is different. IE, you may be seeing data field options I do not have on the 600. It is certain that under Navigation, I do not have data field options for either:
Location (selected)
Location (lat/lon)
UNLESS, I am mis-understanding. these are not available under Trip data as data field options either. What am I doing wrong?

Meanwhile, I did not have ANY trouble finding a free GPS app for the ifone that will display current location marked by X/Y crosshairs on a map with two GPS data fields below. It supports almost all, if not all, data formats and it's easy to set up the two data fields to display (in my case) DMS and UTM.

THANK you for what looks like an interesting solution.
Mike
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We have multiple Montana units, both first gen and second gen.

Viewing the 'GPSrChive > Montana > Operation > Data Fields' page I can see these data fields are available:

Location (lat/lon): Displays the current position in the default position format regardless of the selected settings.
Location (selected): Displays the current position in the selected position format.

According to a Garmin Trail Tech press release titled 'Configurable Data Fields', dated December 23, 2011 - these data fields have always been available.

We have successfully tested the solution posted above on a Montana 650, Montana 610, and Montana 680t.

DMS UTM Example.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

NOW I get it! The elevator just went all the way to the top floor! I was doing it wrong.

I was long pressing a data field (on my map) and trying to find the fields there. BUT! I was not tapping All Categories, which is where I found them.

Rather than set them up in a separate profile, I just used two fields on my trip computer. I had two fields that were really just fluff for my needs. Now, they're USEFUL! That will work VERY NICELY!

THANK you!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Excellent!

If you look closely at the Data Fields page I referenced above, you will see those data fields are listed in the 'Current Status' category.

Although, sometimes it is actually quicker to just scroll through the 'All Categories' list instead of searching each category, one after another!
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

I have four small data fields displayed on my map. These have never gotten in my way. I upgraded from a GPS Map62S so I was used to that display. Having those two data fields and altitude will give me everything I need for GPS stickers we use when marking trails. You've been exceptionally helpful. I keep telling everyone GPSrChive is the resource Garmin SHOULD have posted!

THANK you!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the kind words!

Don't forget the tip jar on the way out 8^)

Return to “Montana 6x0”