GPSMAP 66 as external GPS receiver for Smartphone

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
bonstetten

GPSMAP 66 as external GPS receiver for Smartphone

Unread post by bonstetten »

Does anyone knows if the 66 (or another Gamin GPS-handheld with Bluetooth connection) can be used as an external GPS receiver for the smartphone/iPhone?

As I'm still disappointed about the (live-)Geocaching functions on Garmin devices I like to use the GPS-device to navigate with the smartphone (and save battery power on the phone).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66 as external GPS receiver for Smartphone

Unread post by GPSrChive »

If you are simply looking for an external bluetooth GPSr for use with your smartphone, the Garmin GLO 2 likely can fill that need perfectly!
bonstetten

Thanks, I know the Garmin Glo 2.
But why buying and carring an additional device if I already have an expensive GPS (that is accurate, but not fully usable for geocaching)?
While just hiking, following a path I like to use the GPS MAP especially in bad weather conditons. I always wear it mounted on my backpak.
The smartphone will only be used while doing the geocaching-part of an hike.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

What can your phone do that the GPSMAP 66 can not?
bonstetten

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:43 pm What can your phone do that the GPSMAP 66 can not?
The smartphone can (examples):
  • loading additional waypoints of a Multicache while "Live Geocaching" (when not preloading gpx-files at home)
  • display additional waypoints on a cache description so you can easily select a next waypoint of a cache and you have not to localize it manually on the map (when you loaded the waypoints with a gpx-file)
  • adding found-logs as field notes and not directly as "real log " (and annoying the cache owner)
This are points that I am missing for years, but Garmin does not care. The just say "With our products we always pay attention to highest quality. To achieve this, all our devices are extensively tested by the developers over a certain period of time before being launched on the market."
(Answer in an interview Dec. 2019, german only).
Therefore I assume that Garmin developers are not looking for multicaches ;-)
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Been downloading Geocaching area's to my Laptop for years.

Have a folder for each area I am planning to go to.

When ready you add those Geocaches to my GPSMAP 66s before it was my etrex Ledend HCx.

Drive to where you are planning a hike.

I do this all over Germany, Holland, Belgium and France.

With pre loaded Geocaches ahead of time no problems with first downloading anything.

You want to enjoy your hiking time no screw with first downloading anything be it via you GPSMPAP 66S or your smartphone.

The whole point of hiking is to get back to nature and enjoy you life away from mad world out there.

When home after a hiking trip I log on to Geocaching and update my found Geocaches and add comments.

My phone is there for phone calls that's all.
Planning ahead for a hike is your best bet.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

bonstetten wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 pm The smartphone can (examples):
  • loading additional waypoints of a Multicache while "Live Geocaching" (when not preloading gpx-files at home)
  • display additional waypoints on a cache description so you can easily select a next waypoint of a cache and you have not to localize it manually on the map (when you loaded the waypoints with a gpx-file)
  • adding found-logs as field notes and not directly as "real log " (and annoying the cache owner)
Thank You.

All excellent and well documented shortcomings of 'Geocaching Friendly' Garmin GPSr - Unfortunately, no one device can do it all.

Item number two is particularly irritating because Garmin have already demonstrated they have the ability to do this, but only included the functionality on the Monterra GPSr.

I am still hopeful these issues will be addressed in future product releases.
mpistora

Unread post by mpistora »

The original question actually was: Can the GPSMAP 66 be switched to Bluetooth GPS NMEA SPP Slave mode? So far it seems not.
Smartphone is definitely better for something.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”