New GPSr Recommendations

Discussion related to Off Road 4x4 activities
Traveller128

Re: New GPSr Recommendations

Unread post by Traveller128 »

I think we can get by with the 65S as a handheld, but I'd rather just get a 67 and be done with it. I can't find a 66SR used anywhere other than Amazon (for a lot of money) so I'm debating.

I keep reading on the web, that many of the folks that use GPS for hiking really don't think the Outdoor+ subscription is worth it. I'd like to hear other opinions.
Traveller128

Unread post by Traveller128 »

Thanks for input folks, we've decided to go with a Tread for our vehicles, and a 67 for our hiking and exploring/prospecting trips. Both will be here Wednesday. Figured buy once, cry once.

Now I'm going to need to learn how to scan old maps and figure out how to layer them. We have several 1860's-1890's era reprints we picked up last year that I'd like to get on a GPS so we can find some of the stage stops my wife loves to hunt for.

We can always take them with us, but if we can get make them line up with coordinates and put them in the GPS, that would really help us pinpoint.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Traveller128 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 pm Thanks for input folks, we've decided to go with a Tread for our vehicles, and a 67 for our hiking and exploring/prospecting trips. Both will be here Wednesday. Figured buy once, cry once.
Congratulations!

Make sure to allow yourself plenty of time to get familiar with both of these new navigators before you head out on your next extended adventure!

If you haven't already, check out GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 and GPSrChive > Tread for additional useful information on these great navigators!

Traveller128 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 pm Now I'm going to need to learn how to scan old maps and figure out how to layer them. We have several 1860's-1890's era reprints we picked up last year that I'd like to get on a GPS so we can find some of the stage stops my wife loves to hunt for.
In case you missed it earlier, See GPSrChive > How To... > Maps > Custom Maps to get started making your own Garmin Custom Maps!

Traveller128 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 pm We can always take them with us, but if we can get make them line up with coordinates and put them in the GPS, that would really help us pinpoint.
One of my favorite features!

Return to “Off Road 4x4”