Synch relationship between Garmin Connect, inReach Mini 2, and Garmin web maps

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
csewell

Synch relationship between Garmin Connect, inReach Mini 2, and Garmin web maps

Unread post by csewell »

Can anyone outline the synch relationship between my Montana 700, Garmin Connect app on my phone and the Garmin Connect Web maps?

Every time I add tracks or waypoints to my Montana 700 through Basecamp and synchronize, after a few synchs I end up with duplicates, severely truncated names in Connect and my Montana. I assumed this was due to a limit on Waypoint and Track name length, so I tried to keep them to a certain length but it didn't help. I turned off synching to my InReach Mini 2 because name lengths are only a few characters, but I'm still getting truncated names after synching between Garmin Connect and the Montana. It's like they synch back and forth messing up the names continuously.

Does anyone know the absolute maximum track and waypoint name length supported between the Garmin Montana 700 and Garmin Connect phone app so that I can stop the synch process from chopping the names off?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Synch relationship between Garmin Connect, inReach Mini 2, and Garmin web maps

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Garmin web based software, especially Explore, are well known for destroying user data, and Garmin have shown zero interest in fixing any of these issues.

For this reason, we avoid using these programs and stick to manually loaded data on our devices.

See GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Common Issues > Bug 18 for additional details and information.
csewell

Re: Synch relationship between Garmin Connect, inReach Mini 2, and Garmin web maps

Unread post by csewell »

You're right, I have seen all those symptoms mentioned in Bug 18. Hundreds of duplicate entries, truncated names, changed names. Sorry, I was using "Connect" when I meant "Explore". Looks like I will remove the device from the Explore app, just keep my InReach there, and stick with Basecamp. Glad I bought the base model Montana 700.

Return to “Montana 7x0”