Courses, Routes and

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Courses, Routes and [Bug 33]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

JungleJim wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:47 pm Ok I did some additional testing and contacted Garmin US support, and the support rep could reproduce this behavior. So he made a note about it and will check internally to further investigate. So I think it will be good if you also contact Garmin support and explain the issue you're experiencing.

During testing I also ran into an issue where I navigate a Course using Roads & Trails, and the device loads a different Course than the one I selected in the Course Planner. When starting the Course from Garmin Explore app, the correct one is loaded.

And another issue I noticed is that when you navigate a round trip Course with Course points and as Direct Path, and open up the Active Route page, the distances to the course points shown are strange. Of the 7 course points 5 have the same distance, and 2 have a very large negative distance.

And the third one is that when I press Menu on the map screen, in some cases the menu contains both the option to Resume Navigation and to Stop Navigation...

As for how I plan my Courses: I use either Komoot to plan my own before a trip, AllTrails when searching for existing trails, or Garmin Explore app when planning on the fly. Basecamp I only use to view the 3rd party maps I use on my GPSMAP 67 on Mac or PC.
Would love to see some screen captures of these issues, especially the simultaneous display of 'Stop Navigation' and 'Resume Navigation'.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

aleph wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:13 am Just to help you guys help me.... hear more data

Here is what I have: a diagram of the path in the attachment:
path
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 10.33.43.png
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 10.33.43.png
the route should be: (so is the order of the points in explore app): point1, turn1, on main1, into trail, point 5, mud path, below path, direction farmer, direction village, point 10, walk end.

Use Case1)
I start the navigation as Roads & Trails (from the iPhone or from the device)
it tells me to go to turn1, then when I'm in the road where the white star is, it indicates that in x meters (the distance to the orange star) I should turn LEFT.... ignoring the points defined in the course.

If I go right where the orange star is, then it shows of course and wants to send me back.
I immediately see some potential issues after reviewing the additional information you provided.

The primary purpose of navigating any route is to eventually arrive at the route destination. Some navigators will allow users to specify shortest distance or shortest time or even least elevation change.

Your route appears to not only intersect itself, but also to share the same route segment, used in both directions, before and after the loop.

Many navigators are programmed so that should you go off course, and then later return to the route being navigated, the next point in the route towards the destination will be selected as the next routing point, potentially bypassing earlier route points.

I suspect this may be what is happening with your route.

Try making the same route again, but this time do not intersect or share routing segments. You may have to have some parallel segments be 20-30 feet apart from each other to achieve this.

Then navigate the new route, being careful to not intersect any segments you do not yet want to navigate, and see if your results change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:44 pm Would love to see some screen captures of these issues, especially the simultaneous display of 'Stop Navigation' and 'Resume Navigation'.
Sure, here are some screen captures.
Resume and Stop Navigation
179.bmp
This seems to happen when first loading a course with roads & trails navigation and then loading a course with direct path navigation.
Wrong course loaded
97.bmp
115.bmp
Here I preview the Course "Test met CP4" (with Roads & Trails routing) but when selecting Go a different Course is actually loaded (second screen capture). When I start the Course "Test met CP4" from Garmin Explore app the correct course is loaded.
Non-sensical Active Route
875.bmp
Here you see two points with non-sensical distance and time values (point 2 and 5).

I did a test with a walk but either I don't understand how Courses should work or the way it is handled on the GPSMAP 67 is totally b*rked.

I created two courses around my block in Garmin Explore: one course is a full loop (start and end point are the same location), the second one is an "open loop" where first and last point are not at exactly the same location. I modified the points to have a different icon from the default one so they show up as Course Points. I navigate the Course using Direct Path routing. Several observations:
* I didn't get any off course warnings (setting is enabled)
* for the fully closed loop the active route page shows the same distance for all points independently from where I am on the course. This seems to be the distance to the first / last point
* for the open loop the active route page seems to show correct distances for each point, except for two where the distances shown don't make any sense
Course in FIT format
Test_met_CP_4.fit
Test_met_CP_5.fit
These are the FIT files of two Courses I was using for these tests.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
aleph

Re: Courses, Routes and

Unread post by aleph »

Thank you for your answers!
The issue you have about loading a course from the explore App or the device is also something I found… also the same problem.

I will contact support… and if you get a reply sooner from the US guy would you please report here?

Just one thing regarding the planning (I also use Komoot and Explore App on the go) a quick question:

==> Do you see while hiking the distance to next?

Thanks!
aleph

Re: Courses, Routes and

Unread post by aleph »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 pm
Your route appears to not only intersect itself, but also to share the same route segment, used in both directions, before and after the loop.
well... that is the case in some of the hikings because we do have a defined path we must follow....
--> that is the reason I inserted points.... that is why I planned it in the explore app (eg in komoot I didn't find a way to have points defined)

The sequence of path is important... and so I can't change it.....

This said, I tested some other situations (sorry it took time but I was travelling).
If the route is a simple "snake-hike" that it works well.... (again I dont need directions... I only wanted to have **distance** to next point)

I guess I will have to accept and go on ;)

I do love the gpsmap67 and so I am still happy

thanks for your support guys (@JungleJim and you)

Luis

Return to “GPSMAP 67”