Basecamp alternative for Android devices?

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
skinnie

Basecamp alternative for Android devices?

Unread post by skinnie »

Hello,
Hope you are doing well.
I always used garmin basecamp to transfer waypoints across my garmin devices (Edge 1040, FR965, Dakota10, etc).
For doing this "on the go" if needed I had a Lenovo X1 Tablet that runned Windows.
This tablet just stopped working.
Since I just use this from time to time, and have an android tablet running around, I would like to ask if there is any way to do it with an android tablet...with some app or file transfer/export.

Have a great day
PS: I know garmin explore, but they don't work with my devices, even for the 965 it was stated compatible but they went back with their decision)
kot7OpHyd

Re: Basecamp alternative for Android devices?

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

Garmin Connect is another Android app that you can try.

From the Edge 1040 owner's manual:

Course, segment, and workout downloads from Garmin Connect

Allows you to search for activities on Garmin Connect using your phone and send them to your device.
Spoiler
javawa

Unread post by javawa »

You can't transfer waypoints with Garmin Connect (and it doesn't support the Dakota).
The simplest way is to use an OTG adapter with an appropriate connector for your Android device and a USB-A connector on the other size; plug in the cable of your Garmin device to the latter and connect the Garmin.
Save the waypoints to a GPX file, there are plenty of apps that you can use for that. Copy the GPX file with the "Files" app to the correct folder on your Garmin: \Garmin\GPX on the Dakota or Garmin\NewFiles on the Edge 1040/Forerunner 965.
My Garmin GPS collection: https://www.javawa.nl/collectie.html
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

javawa wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:42 pm You can't transfer waypoints with Garmin Connect (and it doesn't support the Dakota).
The simplest way is to use an OTG adapter with an appropriate connector for your Android device and a USB-A connector on the other size; plug in the cable of your Garmin device to the latter and connect the Garmin.
Save the waypoints to a GPX file, there are plenty of apps that you can use for that. Copy the GPX file with the "Files" app to the correct folder on your Garmin: \Garmin\GPX on the Dakota or Garmin\NewFiles on the Edge 1040/Forerunner 965.
Thank you! This was the info that I needed. I will search for an app that can do that export.

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”