eTrex SE Purpose?

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
RickN55

eTrex SE Purpose?

Unread post by RickN55 »

I've looked at getting an SE to play around with but one observation of mine is and forgive any ignorance here but I fail to see the point of the SE? As it shows no maps and can't have any maps added to it so I fail to really see the point of it?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: eTrex SE Purpose?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Excellent Question RickN55.

The eTrex SE is the replacement for the eTrex 10, and both are very basic navigation instruments that offer a good value for the price.

Long before todays modern devices existed, if you had a GPSr, it only gave you coordinates, and some would allow you to save a few waypoints so you could plot the direction and distance to them from your current location. For many years, those with GPSr still used good old fashioned paper maps with the GPSr providing confirmation of desired locations to make it easier to pinpoint locations on a map and plot your course.

Digital maps are not required to navigate using a GPSr, they are a luxury. None of the extra bells and whistles found on modern devices are necessary, but some sure are nice to have.

The eTrex SE is for those who do not need or desire digital mapping on their navigator. Many of these users are already using an external map product, either digital or good old fashioned paper, for their mapping needs. Some of us actually find it very refreshing to shed all the 'fluff' found on modern navigators and get back to basics, which the eTrex SE allows us to do!

Those who wish to enjoy modern digital mapping with their eTrex SE still can by pairing it with the Garmin Explore App on their phone, where they can view device data along with a variety of high resolution digital map products, as desired.

Models like the eTrex SE are excellent teaching tools because they allow new users to concentrate on the basics without getting distracted or confused by additional features.

Please reference An Introduction to using Garmin GPSr with paper maps for more information.

Oh, and if you were thinking about getting an eTrex SE any time soon, maybe wait just a little bit longer.....
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

Hmm something new coming out in the pipeline from Garmin??
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
kot7OpHyd

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

Hi RickN55
RickN55 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:21 pm Hmm something new coming out in the pipeline from Garmin??
I don't know why user "GPSrChive" asked you to wait. However, there are several complaints on public reviews and fora about two kinds of issues with the eTrex SE:
  • The device apparently reboots, or gets stuck intermittently.
  • The device apparently loses all information stored on it if the AA cells run out of power.
If I recall what I read elsewhere correctly, the user "GPSrChive" (who apparently runs this website) attempted to do a battery duration test of the device, and could not determine the duration from the recorded files on the device after the battery ran out, because the device had lost the recorded contents.

Possibly these issues can be resolved with firmware updates, or they may require a hardware revision (especially as at least one of them appears to be power related). It does not appear that Garmin has fixed them so far.

On the topic of other devices from Garmin, I would like to mention that if users are looking at buying an eTrex SE, you may want to compare it with the Garmin Foretex 801. Both devices are quite similar in functionality, but there are differences and IMO the Foretrex 801 is a much better choice if you can spare the extra cost:
  • The eTrex SE is a handheld, the Foretrex 801 is a smaller device that can be worn on the wrist or pocketed or strapped onto anything.
  • Both units have equal size screens and resolution, even though the Foretrex 801 is a much smaller device.
  • eTrex SE runs on 2xAA for ~168 hours weighing 156.5g with cells, and Foretrex 801 runs on 2xAAA for ~100 hours weighing 107g with cells. A pair of Eneloop AAA cells weigh 26g according to Panasonic, which may help you compare the weight of carrying an extra pair vs. the eTrex SE.
  • The Foretrex 801 has multi-band multi-GNSS. The eTrex SE has multi-GNSS, but cannot use multiple bands.
  • Both units have built-in electronic compass.
  • The Foretrex 801 has a barometric altimeter. The eTrex SE doesn't have one.
  • The Foretrex 801 has timer functionality and can beep upon timeout. The eTrex SE does not appear to have a speaker/beeper.
  • The Foretrex 801 has been tested to MIL-STD-810. The eTrex SE hasn't.
  • The eTrex SE costs $150, the Foretrex 801 costs $250.
  • The eTrex SE can handle about double the waypoints/tracks/routes than Foretrex 801.
The main drawbacks of the Foretrex 801 are fewer waypoints/tracks/routes, and the additional cost. Advantages are many. It also has a different form-factor.
kot7OpHyd

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

Update to my previous comment:
  • The eTrex SE has support for geocaching. The Foretrex 801 doesn't.
  • The eTrex SE has support for waypoint averaging. The Foretrex 801 doesn't.
  • Both devices appear to support all the major GNSS systems (the Foretrex 801 specs page on garmin.com doesn't mention BeiDou, but the device appears to support it).
The Foretrex 801's lack of support for waypoint averaging is a letdown considering it has multi-band multi-GNSS support for better accuracy, and all it needs is a software implementation of the feature. Perhaps Garmin will implement it in a firmware update?
buffet

Unread post by buffet »

GPSrChive wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:20 am
Oh, and if you were thinking about getting an eTrex SE any time soon, maybe wait just a little bit longer.....
Not sure what you were implying here, but I hope that after we saw the Etrex 10 refreshed to Etrex SE, we will likely soon see the Etrex 2xx/3xx refreshed as well. (into the same chassis as the SE, wireless connectivity with Garmin Explore and so on).

Return to “eTrex SE”