inReach remote

Discussion related to the Garmin inReach Messenger
JungleJim

inReach remote

Unread post by JungleJim »

What functions of the inReach Messenger are supported when connected to a GPSMAP 67 via inReach remote? Wondering if it's a worthwhile addition for being able to communicate when outside of cell coverage or to have my location shared automatically.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: inReach remote

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Have you looked at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > inReach Remote yet?

What questions are not answered there?

FWIW, the 67i is slightly more user friendly and capable than the 67 paired to another inReach device.
JungleJim

Thanks for the pointer.

One question is whether it works with the 67, as the GPSMAP 67 is not listed under compatible devices on the inReach Messenger product page on the Garmin site. I assume it would be compatible, but would like to know for sure.

Another question is whether the functions Link with Recording, Auto Track and setting the tracking interval are available on the 67 when using inReach remote. The info on GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Setup seems to suggest so?

And I’m looking for experiences from others if this setup will work reliably.

A 67i might be more convenient but it may be cheaper to buy the Messenger due to the resale value of my 67…
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for providing the more detailed questions.

A. We are able to use inReach Remote with our GPSMAP 67 and an inReach Messenger device. Perhaps Garmin have been tardy in updating their own spec page.

B. The only functionality available via inReach Remote is what you see at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > inReach Remote. You can view/send messages, start/stop inReach tracking, and initiate an inReach SOS. Nothing more. Nothing less.

C. These features are as reliable as the ANT+ wireless connection used to send/receive data between the two devices. You can always perform the same tasks using the paired phone, or on the inReach device itself.

D. Some users have reported issues with the inReach Messenger App 'hijacking' their phone number and creating issues where text messages received from others in the inReach contact list only appear on the inReach Messenger device and/or inReach Messenger app, but not on the phone, even when not using the inReach Messenger.

These limitations can be avoided when using a GPSMAP 67i, but that may not necessarily be the best financial option for all users.
JungleJim

Thanks for the answers, glad to read it works with the GPSMAP 67.
GPSrChive wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:51 am B. The only functionality available via inReach Remote is what you see at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > inReach Remote. You can view/send messages, start/stop inReach tracking, and initiate an inReach SOS. Nothing more. Nothing less.
The GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages info and GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Setup info both list some inReach specific icons (for Pages: inReach Activation and Tracking, for Setup: Messages and Tracking). Are these available for the GPSMAP 67 when using inReach Remote or are they only available on the GPSMAP 67i?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Any setup page options listed will always be for the model selected, in this case, the GPSMAP 67.

InReach features and functions are only available on inReach equipped models, in this case, the GPSMAP 67i.

Pages and Setup options not currently available on your GPSMAP 67 will not appear after connecting an external inReach device.

Non inReach equipped models, like the GPSMAP 67, may have an inReach Remote page available that offers limited functionality when paired with an external inReach device.

InReach equipped models, like the GPSMAP 67i, will have dedicated inReach features and options not available on non inReach devices. These models do not have the inReach Remote page.

Return to “inReach Messenger”