Geocache descriptions truncated & displayed incomplete [Bug 1]

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
Sibstr

Geocache descriptions truncated & displayed incomplete [Bug 1]

Unread post by Sibstr »

Today I tried more than 20 geocaches (Traditional, Multi, Mystery) and all listings were displayed without problem, more than 1000 characters without problem (v3.51).
Someone else to test but for me it fixed.

Fixed:
1. Geocache descriptions exceeding 400 characters are truncated and displayed incomplete.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geocache descriptions truncated & displayed incomplete [Bug 1]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please provide GC codes for the caches you tested, and tell us how they were loaded to the device.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

I use Geocaching Live to load the 25 closest geocaches according to the filter.
Sample of listings that eTrex SE display.
For example, the GC2D28A geocache listing is over 6000 characters. (problem with the end info below)
Another example geocache GC9Q90G listing has more than 4000 characters.(problem with the end info below)
Another example geocache GCNTMK listing has more than 3900 characters.(problem with the end info below) - very old geocache text listing only
Another example geocache GC1P0CY listing has more than 3000 characters. (problem with the end info below)
Another example geocache GC19RH8 listing has more than 1900 characters.(problem with the end info below)
Another example geocache GC50CTV listing has more than 1700 characters.(problem with the end info below)
Another example geocache GC1GKMB listing has more than 1500 characters.(problem with the end info below)
Another example geocache GC92AX6 listing has more than 1250 characters. (no problem)
Another example geocache GC2QVN7 listing has more than 950 characters. (no problem)
Another example geocache GC2MAHJ listing has more than 550 characters. (no problem)
And now I noticed that eTrex doesn't display the end of long listings approx. last 100-300 characters, depends on the length of the listing, maybe % would be better.
However, the scrolling over the 1250 characters isn't smooth, it is choppy.
And I found the problem with the screenshot when taking a screenshot, the listing jumps somewhere up.
It still little buggy - I think that the problem with 400 characters is solved, but there is a new problem with the end of long listings.
Sample screenshots
SCRSHT.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for providing the additional information!

After some testing performed today, it does appear this issue may have been improved upon, but is not fully resolved.

We did find that some cache descriptions were displayed beyond the previous 400 character limit, but we also found that nearly every geocache description was still truncated and not displayed fully. We also found that scrolling through many geocache descriptions was sometimes slow and clunky, and sometimes the description text would jump back a page or two.

We also found some caches with less than 400 characters in the description still truncated and displayed incomplete!
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

Garmin support requested more details about the problem including a video. I provided everything they wanted and here is the answer:
Garmin Support answer
Thank you for your patience while we investigated this issue. We have confirmed with our Engineering team that this behavior is by design. Our devices are limited to how many characters can be shown in the geocache descriptions.
The amount of characters shown can vary by the description; things such as the language used, if any images are used and/or if any special characters are included can effect how much is shown on the device.
As for the page jumping, it appears that can happen from scrolling to quickly or the device is taking a moment to load all the text.
And I am not satisfied :P so I answered:
My answer
Yes, I understand. But how will your Engineering Team explain that a 1000 character text is missing the last sentence as well as a 10,000 character text. Same language, same coding. Why in one case the device displays 900 characters out of 1000 and in the other case it displays 9900 characters out of 10000? This is a really big disparity, especially when the ends of the text are missing in 99% of cases.
I hope they look into it in depth...

Return to “eTrex SE”