After Sending AllTrails Map to Garmin 66SR, Where Is It?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
crazyzakster

After Sending AllTrails Map to Garmin 66SR, Where Is It?

Unread post by crazyzakster »

Hello,
Still struggling...I subscribe to alltrails, and have sent several maps to my Garmin 66SR (Sync'ed my Garmin via Garmin Express 7.17). Where/how do I find/access these maps on my Garmin? I cannot find them, or don't recognize them- I'm sitting at home, not at my trail head.

Thank you!!

Mike
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: After Sending AllTrails Map to Garmin 66SR, Where Is It?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Have you opened the 'Route Planner' or 'Course Planner' page after syncing with Garmin Connect?
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

crazyzakster wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:39 pm Hello,
Still struggling...I subscribe to alltrails, and have sent several maps to my Garmin 66SR (Sync'ed my Garmin via Garmin Express 7.17). Where/how do I find/access these maps on my Garmin? I cannot find them, or don't recognize them- I'm sitting at home, not at my trail head.

Thank you!!

Mike
Have you exported maps? Are the routes? Or maybe gpx tracks?
It seems to me that you still haven't done your homework and are confusing these concepts. :(
We need to start speaking the same language.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

What do you mean with “sent maps to my Garmin”?

With AllTrails you can sync routes from AllTrails to your Garmin, and completed activities from your Garmin to AllTrails. All this is explained on the AllTrials site.

Now when you send an AllTrails route to your Garmin device using the Garmin Connect integration (as explained in the link above), it will show up as a Course on the Garmin. Note that the GPSMAP needs to be synced first, either via Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile app.

To show courses on the GPSMAP 66sr you have two options:
  1. use the Course Planner from the Menu
  2. use the Find key to view Courses
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
crazyzakster

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:15 am Have you opened the 'Route Planner' or 'Course Planner' page after syncing with Garmin Connect?
So I do see what looks like a list of waypoints in route planner, with multiple trails' way-points in the list; and if I select one, and arrow over on the top menu bar to "map" and select map it does show that trail. If that is how it is supposed to be presented, then that answers my question. I was assuming it would be menu'ed inside, where all the waypoints of a particular trail would be under that trail name, and not all trails' waypoints listed together. Thank you for confirming...I just couldn't find any documentation that presented the result I should expect from that exercise. Thanks again.

Mike
crazyzakster

JungleJim wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:06 am What do you mean with “sent maps to my Garmin”?

With AllTrails you can sync routes from AllTrails to your Garmin, and completed activities from your Garmin to AllTrails. All this is explained on the AllTrials site.

Now when you send an AllTrails route to your Garmin device using the Garmin Connect integration (as explained in the link above), it will show up as a Course on the Garmin. Note that the GPSMAP needs to be synced first, either via Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile app.

To show courses on the GPSMAP 66sr you have two options:
  1. use the Course Planner from the Menu
  2. use the Find key to view Courses
After locating the trail in alltrails, I click on the "more/overflow" symbol and "send to Garmin", then sync my Garmin. Your two options you state- Course Planner vs. Find to view the courses is a big help. The alltrails procedure "How do I access the route on my Garmin device" sends me to the garmin manual, which frankly seems so generic. You did answer my question- I was picturing it to be presented differently in my Garmin. Thanks again, now that I know I'm seeing the results I should be.

Thank you for the assistance and pointing me in the right direction.

Mike
crazyzakster

Nail wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:14 am
crazyzakster wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:39 pm Hello,

Thank you!!

Mike
Have you exported maps? Are the routes? Or maybe gpx tracks?
It seems to me that you still haven't done your homework and are confusing these concepts. :(
We need to start speaking the same language.
I have done both- exporting maps in GPX Tracks format, and from the alltrails trail overflow menu "send to Garmin". It is unclear to me whether both have the same results, or one has advantages over the other. Perhaps I haven't done my homework- I just don't know how much homework I need to do or if I'm missing something and going down a rabbit hole.

Thanks,

Mike

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”