Problem USB connection with iMac

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
GSB

Problem USB connection with iMac

Unread post by GSB »

I have a problem connecting the GPSMAP 67 with my iMac.

MTP mode:
Garmin Express works
(windows 10: file explorer shows the GPSMAP 67 incl. the sd-card)

Garmin mode:
Basecamp recognizes the GPSMAP 67, shows only the device name, but no maps or tracks
The Finder doesn’t list the garmin.
It seems the garmin mode doesn‘t work correct. In the setup is CD and others selected.

Any ideas?
Nail

Re: Problem USB connection with iMac

Unread post by Nail »

Search previous entries since the release of the 67 series. The solution was already given there.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

You should keep the unit at MTP mode. MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol which is a standard for accessing files on portable devices.

Windows supports MTP just fine, the device will show in Explorer.

MacOS does not support MTP very well unfortunately. In order to access the files on the unit you need a third party application like Android File Transfer.

Another issue on MacOS is that only one application can access the unit. So this means that you need to fully quit Garmin Express in order to have Basecamp recognize the GPSMAP. Same applies when using other applications.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Anyone else remember when Apple computers entire marketing campaign revolved around how simple and easy they were to use, and how 'everything just worked' when you plug it in, unlike a Windows PC? Those days are long gone....

How the tables have turned!
GSB

Unread post by GSB »

JungleJim wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:27 am You should keep the unit at MTP mode. MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol which is a standard for accessing files on portable devices.

Windows supports MTP just fine, the device will show in Explorer.

MacOS does not support MTP very well unfortunately. In order to access the files on the unit you need a third party application like Android File Transfer.

Another issue on MacOS is that only one application can access the unit. So this means that you need to fully quit Garmin Express in order to have Basecamp recognize the GPSMAP. Same applies when using other applications.
Thank you, I hoped I don‘t need an other program, but with android file transfer everything work.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”