Expedition mode lockup

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
rhh

Expedition mode lockup

Unread post by rhh »

About 15 minutes after putting my Montana 700i in Expedition Mode, it becomes locked up and will not respond to the power button. The only way to awaken it again is to remove and reinstall the battery.

Doing a factory reset cures the problem temporarily, but after using the device for a day or two, the problem returns again. Garmin has not come up with any suggestions, other than to say "we're working on it".

Anyone have any suggestions?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Expedition mode lockup

Unread post by GPSrChive »

A. Firmware Version
B. Did Garmin give you a ticket number for a 'known fault they are working on'?

We have not heard this particular complaint yet, so we will have to do some testing to see if we can reproduce....
rhh

Unread post by rhh »

When I contacted Garmin chat support, they asked me to forward a copy of the "GarminDevice.xml" file from my Montana, and asked for permission to access my Garmin Explore account.

Firmware has been 16.50 up until just today, when It was updated to 16.70. I have not seen the "lost Satellite Reception" error message since the firmware update today.

I asked about a case or ticket number, but was told I would hear back from Garmin. As yet I have not received any sort of response.

This has happened several times in the three months I've had the device. Each time, the unit works normally for up to several days, but then reverts to the locking up about 15 minutes after the unit enters Expedition Mode. As a side note, when this happens, the unit also seems to start giving a "Lost Satellite Reception" error message, about once every minute, although satellite reception does not really seem to be affected. After a factory reset, I don't experience either of these two errors for some time, although both always come back eventually.

I have not been able to detect exactly what triggers these issues.

Very frustrating!
Last edited by rhh on Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please let us know if you can duplicate with v16.70 installed.

Thank you!
rhh

Unread post by rhh »

Problem with expedition mode locking after 12 minutes continues with firmware version 16.70, including loss of satellite reception.

It seems to be related to saving of an activity.

If I do a factory reset, initiate recording of an activity for 20 minutes, then save the activity, then set expedition mode to "Prompted", and initiate expedition mode, the green light blinks every 5 seconds for about 12 minutes but then stops blinking. The unit is then locked, and only a very long press of the power button will restart (not resume). Removing and reinstalling the battery will also allow a restart. Any future attempt to use expedition mode will then cause lock up after 12 minutes, and also seems to cause short term loss of satellite reception about once every minute.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

How are you determining there is a loss of satellite reception once per minute while in expedition mode?
rhh

Unread post by rhh »

I appologize, my wording was not clear, I'll try again:

The two issues, expedition mode causing locking, and periodic loss of satellite reception seem to be tied together, although they don't happen at the same time.

Once the unit has locked up while it is in expedition mode, and after it is restarted again and otherwise operating normally, then the unit displays the error message "Satellite Reception Lost", about once every minute, although it only lasts about a second or so. It does this even under a clear open sky, but never does this unless the expedition lock problem has occurred recently.

When the unit is in expedition mode, there is no indication of satellite reception loss, only the green light blinking every 5 seconds.

Hope this helps.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you, that is much more clear!
rhh

Unread post by rhh »

I have been using my Montana for several days after doing a factory reset, and the problem with locking up after using Expedition Mode has not recurred. I have specifically avoided saving any activities, and I am now quite sure that has been the trigger for my problem with the Expedition Mode.

If I have some spare time, I'll experiment a little more to see if I can narrow the exact trigger down in more detail. I'd like to know if it only occurs when the save mode is manual, or if it also happens when using automatic recording, and see if it's triggered by things other than the act of saving an activity recording.

I also plan to quiz Garmin's chat help to see if I can get what I've found reported to the responsible programmers, and find out if there has been any progress on my problem.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please do continue your testing and report results here. When you have an easy to reproduce workflow we will make sure the appropriate software team at Garmin get the information!

Return to “Montana 7x0”