Help A Struggling New Garmin 66sr User

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
Nail

Re: Help A Struggling New Garmin 66sr User

Unread post by Nail »

Przekątny wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:52 pm
When scheduling on a different map, the route on the device may not be displayed.
I had such a bad experience over a year ago when I started with my first GPSMAP. Thanks to the help on the forum, I quickly figured out how it works and where my problems came from.
I think it will be helpful.
Spoiler
crazyzakster

Unread post by crazyzakster »

Thank you all for the information and input. Yes, I'm a newbie and my frustration is probably mostly with the difficulty of me grasping the steps and nuances. I appreciate knowing that it takes patience and experience to grasp the processes. My only experience has been alltrails off-line mode.

I'm just looking to hike in the Adirondacks/Catskills of NY. It appears that maps have to be purchased for Garmin before I can create way points and route since the map doesn't have hiking trails on it. Honestly, I was hoping to 1) be able to use the trails on Alltrails, download/export as GPX, and import to basecamp as GPX and then onto my GPS 66SR or 2) Use caltopo (which does have the hiking trails on it) to create my way points and routes between way points, export as GPX, import to base camp as GPX and then send to my Garmin.

Thank you again all for the great input and thoughts.

Mike
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

crazyzakster wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:34 pm I was hoping to 1) be able to use the trails on Alltrails, download/export as GPX, and import to basecamp as GPX and then onto my GPS 66SR or 2) Use caltopo (which does have the hiking trails on it) to create my way points and routes between way points, export as GPX, import to base camp as GPX and then send to my Garmin.
You can export GPX files from any source and then copy them to your GPSr\Garmin\GPX\ directory, and the device will do its best to read the data in those GPX files. Problem is, while GPX data is somewhat standardized, each source likes to format their data a little different. Important to note, a single GPX file can contain waypoints, or tracks, or routes, or geocaches, or any combination of these items. I personally like to keep my waypoints, tracks, routes etc. all separated in unique GPX files.

Start small and simple, then test results on your device, remove previous files and perform another test to observe new results, and repeat until you learn how each item interacts with your Garmin. Maybe start with important waypoints only, get those situated, then move on to tracks, and get those figured out, then maybe routes, which can be the most difficult and time consuming to master.

Try downloading a nearby track or two (no waypoints, just the track) to get started and move the GPX files to your GPSMAP 66sr\Garmin\GPX\ directory. Then, open them in 'Saved Tracks' page, and save them as 'Courses'. Then, open them in the 'Course Planner' page and save as 'Routes'. Now you can view each on the map and see how they look and work on the device, and you can select each as your destination, one at a time, using the 'Where To?' page, and practice navigating them.

Go ahead and load some waypoints separately to the same directory so they will be available on your map page.

You will not master this device over night, in a weekend, or even in a months time. But each experience will help make you more proficient with it.
crazyzakster

Unread post by crazyzakster »

All,

Thank you so much for the input and inspiration. It sounds like I was expecting too much, too easily, and too soon. Several of you hit on my issue I ran into with my last hike- I did the way points and routes on caltopo, but it appeared that only the way points made it over to my 66SR. Those way points helped a lot as we kept losing the poor herd path, and I was able to use the Garmin way points distance reading to tell me where to look for the next poor herd trail. THANKS AGAIN. You all gave me a ton of information, now it appears I need to experiment and tune.

THANK YOU!!!
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

If you care about visible trails, you can use the Locus website.
The planner will allow you to set a route that you can export as gpx to your computer. Check the "no navigation commands" box before exporting. Locus includes OpenStreetMap maps. This means that you can transfer your GPX to other maps of this platform and everything should work. Speaking of maps, remember to always install additional maps on a microSD card. In case of problems, you will remove the card from the device. If you do not have such a card, then the purchase according to the specification cannot have more than 32GB. You can also save everything you send to the 66sr on a microSD card.
Before you start thinking about maps for your device, learn how to navigate on straight tracks. If you have any doubts about a specific action, ask.
You can also attach screenshots of your settings screens to your posts. Setup>Display>Screen Capture ON, "Power" button takes pictures. Screenshots can be found in 66sr\Garmin\scrn

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”