Crash when pushing 'Menu' button in 'Active Weather' page [Crash 2]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
hansi_61

Re: Crash when pushing 'Menu' button in 'Active Weather' page [Crash 2]

Unread post by hansi_61 »

Dear all,

I meanwhile identified the root-cause for the crashes. But one after the other.
In a chat this afternoon with a guy from local Garmin support, I was recommended to perform a factory reset in order to check if the problem will persist. Before doing so, I removed the SD card in order to exclude this as the root-cause. And indeed, the issue was persisting. After backup of my personal data and settings, I performed the factory reset.

An what a surprise :o : The issue had disappeared , i.e. the weather animations were playing when pushing the 'Menu' button. After reinstalling my personal data and settings, there was a second surprise :o : The issue was back again. :(
When checking for the differences between the original and my individual profile settings, I noticed that I had defined a dashbord with 'Small data fields' on the map page whereas the original profiles had none. Hence, i removed the dashboard again and went back to the 'Active Weather' app.
And third surprise :o : The issue had again disappeared!!! :D

Next thing, I tried: Is it perhaps sufficient, just to 'Hide Dashboard' instead of completely removing it? Result: No, it isn't.
Next test: Do all dashboards cause the crash of the device? Result: No they don't. It's unbelievable: Only the two dashboards 'Small Data Fields' and 'Large data Field' are causing the crash of the 'Active Weather' app, with all others (Altimeter, Compass, ...) the weather animations are running fine.

When looking at these odd, but very systematic results, I can hardly imagine that this should really be an issue only of the 67i model. Hence, I'd like to encourage you guys out there with 66 and 67 models to check the above described issue settings and report here about the experiences with your devices.

@ Dear software-developers from Garmin,
I think with these detailed findings on the issue, you should be able now to identify the deeper reason for the crash in the software code and will hopefully fix it with one of the next firmare updates.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please retest this crash after the next firmware version is released and report your findings.

Thank you!
druwwl

Unread post by druwwl »

I had the same issue two days ago.Yesterday it seem to work.Maybe it is a satellite(choosing)problem?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

hansi_61 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:03 pm Unfortunately, I had to notice a (software ?) bug in the 'Active Weather' feature on my GPSMAP 67i device (SW version 4.80):
When pushing the 'Menu' button on one of the four register pages with maps (rain, clouds, temperature, wind), the device always crashes and restarts.
Anyone else with similar observations out there?
Has this crash been resolved with firmware update v530 loaded?
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

No crash on mine version 5.30.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”