Montana 7xx successor?

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
Sibstr

Montana 7xx successor?

Unread post by Sibstr »

Some rumor about Montana 700 successor?
The current model isn't bad, but I would like a Multi-Band GPS receiver and USB-C. Any hope that a successor will appear this summer maybe in August? I know that the current model is not sold long but by next year at the latest, all devices on sale in the European Union will have to have USB-C port. So some change has to come.
What is your opinion?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Montana 7xx successor?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The first generation Montana 6x0 was introduced in May 2011 and the second generation in August 2020. This is nearly a decade lifespan for the Montana 6x0 series, which did see a 'refresh' in August of 2015 that added GLONASS support, a slightly improved camera, GGZ support, and the 'Current Track' page from the Oregon 6x0. Externally, they were identical.

The second generation Montana is not even three years old yet, and based on previous experience I would not expect a refresh for at least another year or two. However, since the EU is banning import of devices that do not use USB-C, that could have the potential force a 'Refresh' sooner instead of later.

Certainly there will be no 'Replacement' any time soon.

Of course, many of us still find ourselves in shock that Garmin discontinued the Oregon series without a replacement model, so who knows what they are thinking?
Przekątny

Re: Montana 7xx successor?

Unread post by Przekątny »

Sibstr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:43 pm Some rumor about Montana 700 successor?
The current model isn't bad, but I would like a Multi-Band GPS receiver and USB-C. Any hope that a successor will appear this summer maybe in August? I know that the current model is not sold long but by next year at the latest, all devices on sale in the European Union will have to have USB-C port. So some change has to come.
What is your opinion?
Montana 700 can be sold, the obligation to equip a USB-C port applies to products entering the market at the end of 2024.

Return to “Montana 7x0”