Montana 600 broken power button

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
Mick F

Re: Montana 600 broken power button

Unread post by Mick F »

All good to hear! :D

Yes, the unit was a couple behind, but up to date now.

Thanks,
Mick.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Update, but it's not good news I'm afraid. :(

The new Montana worked well for eight days, but yesterday is froze. It wouldn't switch off, so I had to take the battery out. Switching back on again, it froze again, and repeating just gave the same result.

I connected up to my computer this morning and found how to sort it, by deleting the GPX folder and doing a master reset.
All went well, and the Montana came on fine and didn't freeze at all.

However, there is zero satellite reception. Not a show of any bars at all despite leaving it outside in clear view of the sky for an hour.

I phoned Garmin support and they got me to do it all again and check for satellites again. Also to do an auto locate to clear any old satellite data. Still no joy at all.

I will be sending the device back for another replacement!

All to be arranged as yet, and doing the rest by email.

Mick.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Sounds a lot like Hardware Failure #1 in Common Issues page... Hopefully the next unit will be better!
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Yes, I guessed that, but only later after the chat with the support staff.

We took a few days off in Spain by ferry from Plymouth. 20hrs crossing each way.
On the way back we were sitting in the sunshine and I was watching our progress northwards past Brittany, when I noticed it had stopped responding. All I could do was to pull the battery. Maybe the unit became a little warm in the sunshine, but not hot at all, and it had no knocks or bangs to dislodge the antenna. Perhaps it wasn't fitted securely enough and the warmth was the last straw for it. From then on, it was freezing, and deleting the GPX folder - when I had access to my computer - un-froze it, and it was only then that the lack of satellite reception was evident.

The unit is boxed up ready, and we're off to the post office later this afternoon. Pity they don't send a pre-paid label, as I'll have to spend another £4.55 to send it off. At least the replacement will be free.

Mick.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Replacement No2 is on its way.
Should arrive by the end of the day tomorrow.

:D
Mick.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure!
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

It arrived at 10am via UPS.
It seems to work fine. Still fiddling with it and setting it up the way I want it. Slow process I think.

So far, so good, and if I do have any issues, this forum will be the first to know.

Mick.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Update.

All is fine!
However, a strange thing, a USB lead that never worked with my first Montana and didn't work with the first replacement, works fine with this new replacement.

I don't know where the original Garmin USB lead is - not seen it for years - but I had two others. One long and one short.
The long one didn't work with the first two Montanas, but worked perfectly with the scanner, and two different cameras. I put the fact down to it not working with the Montanas as it was too long for them. The short one worked perfectly, and worked perfectly with the other stuff too.

Well, all I can say is that there was something wrong with even the original Montana as it didn't work with the long lead, but the 2nd replacement works with it perfectly.

Other than that, nothing else to report. :D

Mick.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Glad your newest Montana is working well for you, Mick!

Return to “Montana 6x0”