What USB Cable

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
mx5sped

What USB Cable

Unread post by mx5sped »

Whenever I connect my Montana to any USB Power source the Montana thinks it has been connected to a Computer so it automatically switches to the screen with the USB Symbol.

However if I connect with a Garmin power source AC or 12V source it will power the Montana but will allow access to all the Montana functions.

I would like to be able to connect my Montana to a power brick using a USB cable but will allow me to actually use the Montana while connected.

Is there a special type of USB cable that will appear to the Montana like an official Garmin power source?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: What USB Cable

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Try configuring Setup > System > Interface to Spanner. The Montana should prompt you to enter Mass Storage Mode when connected, and you can select 'No' to continue using the device while it charges the battery.

Edited to reflect Montana 6x0 settings
mx5sped

Unread post by mx5sped »

Thanks for the information about "Spanner" that seems to work. I don't see any Advanced Setup on either my 600 or 680.

I can't find any setting for configuring External Power.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Whoops my bad, I was responding for Montana 7x0, didn't read the forum correctly in my haste.

The Spanner setting works for all devices that have it as an option.
lodcomm

Unread post by lodcomm »

You can get a "power only" usb cable. I was having the same issue with my montana 650t and got the cable off e-bay,

*** Please see the Forum Rules link at the top of the page for hyperlink formatting options - Thank You! ***
USB Power Only Cable
works perfectly

-t

Return to “Montana 6x0”