GPS is not tracking my route (again)

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
Gorlash

GPS is not tracking my route (again)

Unread post by Gorlash »

I had this problem before, and found a fix for it, but it has recurred and I don't know how to fix it again...

I was hiking on a route yesterday, and my GPS (66sr) was not actually storing the route that I followed; it stored a few points at the beginning of the route, then just shows a straight line for about half a mile, with no data points along the route.

I had this issue when I first got the GPS unit, and found a solution to it, but I don't recall what it was... it had been working fine for months, but yesterday when I turned it on, it said "there is an update available for your software", and it installed it... and apparently reset all its settings at the same time...

Can someone remind me of what setting I have to change, so that it actually tracks points regularly along my route??
Przekątny

Re: GPS is not tracking my route (again)

Unread post by Przekątny »

Gorlash wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:51 pm I had this problem before, and found a fix for it, but it has recurred and I don't know how to fix it again...

I was hiking on a route yesterday, and my GPS (66sr) was not actually storing the route that I followed; it stored a few points at the beginning of the route, then just shows a straight line for about half a mile, with no data points along the route.

I had this issue when I first got the GPS unit, and found a solution to it, but I don't recall what it was... it had been working fine for months, but yesterday when I turned it on, it said "there is an update available for your software", and it installed it... and apparently reset all its settings at the same time...

Can someone remind me of what setting I have to change, so that it actually tracks points regularly along my route??
Disable Autopause and Autostart, connect the device for a while from Garmin Express, turn on track (activity) recording manuallyin the open.

After a while, you can pre-check the saveat Current Tack.

Also check that the GPS signal bars are displayed on the satellite screen, check that the signal bars do not disappear while hiking.
Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash »

Przekątny wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:58 am Disable Autopause and Autostart, connect the device for a while from Garmin Express, turn on track (activity) recording manually in the open.

Also check that the GPS signal bars are displayed on the satellite screen, check that the signal bars do not disappear while hiking.
Thank you; I had Autopause off, but Autostart on; now they are both off, I'll test that out sometime soon.

I haven't been regularly checking the signal-strength indicators, but during previous hikes along that same trail, the 66sr has done a magnificent job of recording my tracks, even when I was under heavy tree cover, so I doubt that is the issue here. I believe that some setting got changed when I did the software update out there.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

The automatic start of the track is an error because as soon as you turn on the 66sr and it has acquired satellites, it starts the track and causes errors and straight lines.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Enabled Autostart may have a negative impact on the correct calibration of the altimeter.
In the initial phase after starting, there is no stabilized GPS signal, which is associated
with an incorrect value altitude above sea level
The GPS altitude is the basis for the automatic calibration of the altimeter.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”