'Cheating' Garmin limitations regarding Custom Maps

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
FBO

'Cheating' Garmin limitations regarding Custom Maps

Unread post by FBO »

Dear All,

I was using GPSMap 65s for some time and I found really frustrating, that only 500 tiles of custom maps can be used in GPS. I found that you can use 65s in "pendrive mode" and you can manage with custom maps using your smartphone and OTG protocol. So long story short, you can have full library of custom maps on your phone and even If you are hiking for longer time you do not need to have an access to your computer, because you can transfer/ manage with custom maps using your phone.

So this is a small tip for users 65s or Fenix watches till generation 5 (Fenix 5). As I was planning to migrate to GPS Map 67 I started to perform deeper analysis (thanks all of you for your patience regarding my last two posts :) I found out on the forum that 67 does support only MTP protocol, same as Fenix 7... So it means that I will not have an option to manage with files using my smartphone...

Do you have any solution or know any app which will give me possibility to manage files using phone?

Why I can access to general folders using PC but it's not possible using computer? Any additional drivers are needed?

I was not fully sure, where put this topic, because it consider two devices (both 67 and 65) so I would appreciate a little help from administration :)

Kind Regards,
Filip
Przekątny

Re: 'Cheating' Garmin limitations regarding Custom Maps

Unread post by Przekątny »

FBO wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 pm So this is a small tip for users 65s or Fenix watches till generation 5 (Fenix 5). As I was planning to migrate to GPS Map 67 I started to perform deeper analisis (thanks all of you for your patience regarding my last two posts :) I found out on the forum that 67 does support only MTP protocol, same as Fenix 7... So it means that I will not have an option to manage with files using my smatphone...
GPS with SD card read maps in .kmz files from the card.
Virtually all data including .gpi files are read from the card.

Get someone to check if gpsmap 67 reads kmz maps from card, you will be sure.

Data transmission via USB OTG is also not excluded with MPT.

Standard in GPSmap 67 SD card 32GB.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

@ FBO
You transfer maps from your smartphone to Gpsmap 65s.

Additional maps may be in the device's memory in a directory with a different name than CustomMaps.
Transferring a file within one carrier takes less time than copying from a smartphone.
FBO

Unread post by FBO »

Przekątny wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:29 pm @ FBO
You transfer maps from your smartphone to Gpsmap 65s.

Additional maps may be in the device's memory in a directory with a different name than CustomMaps.
Transferring a file within one carrier takes less time than copying from a smartphone.
Yup, I was using that option, but still you need to have phone for transfering / managing folders

Return to “GPSMAP 65”