Oregon 7x0 Discontinued

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
mity!

Re: Oregon 7x0 Discontinued

Unread post by mity! »

It is so sad... :(

There is no unit that could replace my O750. The only device of Garmin with an included camera is the really huge Montana 750 and you have to buy the expensive version with InReach to get the camera.

My "working unit" begins to disassemble after nearly seven years of daily use. Last year I managed to buy a used O750 in perfect condition as a spare unit (my order for a new device from 2021 was cancelled after one year). And now I hope that Garmin will continue the support for "geocaching live" and the weather API...
danieldk

Unread post by danieldk »

I think the market for GPS receivers is just too small now to have the number of models that they had before. I have been using gpsmap models for well over a decade, but I am considering whether to switch to a touchscreen model, because it can be nice to quickly pan the map during cycling. But now I'm split between an Montana 700 (looks pretty good, but huge) and the GPSMAP 67 (good size, but no touchscreen). A successor of the 7x0 would be ideal size and feature-wise, but I don't think it's in the cards.

It's still possible to get an Oregon 700 from several shops, but it'd be a couple of steps back in terms of features.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We had predicted they would produce a version of the Alpha 2xx without the radio to replace the Oregon 7x0, but they didn't. Seemed like it would be just the right size between eTrex and Montana.

You can still get an Alpha 2xx/3xx for this purpose, but you will also be paying for dog tracking capabilities you may not want or use. On the plus side, the Alpha 2xx/3xx can track each other, if that is something you might be interested in.
danieldk

Unread post by danieldk »

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 pm You can still get an Alpha 2xx/3xx for this purpose, but you will also be paying for dog tracking capabilities you may not want or use. On the plus side, the Alpha 2xx/3xx can track each other, if that is something you might be interested in.
That's really a great suggestion. I somehow didn't know about the Alpha series. The price is a bit more than what I'm willing to spend on a GPSr, but Garmin should totally make this without the VHF antenna.

After thinking it through a bit more, I decided to go for the gpsmap 67 (well, ask my wife to give it as a birthday present :D). The series has never failed me and the 67 has some nice new features over the 66sr that I have now (Maps+, longer battery live in particular).

Return to “Oregon 7x0”