eTrex SE and custom map

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
gps_techie

Re: eTrex SE and custom map

Unread post by gps_techie »

gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm BTW, all user waypoints have the same picture - flagpole. There is no selection for start/finish/house/car/... option.
Correction: waypoint icon can be changed to one of many from a category list. Go to Saved->Waypoints->Edit->Icon
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

Przekątny wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:16 pm The map can be installed in Base Camp and MapSource.
Instruction:
Yes, I have read this guide, unfortunately on Windows 11 and MapSource I was not able to install it successfully.
gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm Trying out different maps with different features may result in progress, so it is very welcome.
Yes I agree. So far, it seems that in the part where are cities, it could also be displayed other points than cities. Lines and surfaces probably won't work, but the points might.
gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm ...key issue is identification of what features eTrex SE can map (and how to force it to display that).
In my opinion, more "magic" can be done with the second half, which contains borders and water. I see potential here, but it will be a lot of work and testing.
gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm Cities are actually visible as round points only (no stars, crosses or anything else) on eTrex SE screen (depends on a zoom level).
Cities with a star icon should be only that largest with a population of 5+ million, such as London or Paris etc.
gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm At some zoom levels, the dots are larger, but all dots are always the same size at once.
The difference in the size of individual dots is not big and on a small display with a high resolution, the difference in size may not be clearly visible.
gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm Zoom levels seem to be somehow defined in *.IMG file.
Yes, zoom details are defined in each *.IMG file.
GPSrChive wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:45 pm I'm so happy someone is digging into this model! We really like ours for what it is.
Yes, I see the potential too. Although I don't have an eTrex SE, yet.

Przekątny wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:48 pm This is the easiest way:
After installing Base Camp, the OSMfenixEurope.gmap file can be copied to the ProgramData - Garmin - Maps directory, the map will be visible in Base Camp.
I don't use Base Camp, maybe that's the problem...
In general, the problem is that most of the SW I have to work with *.IMG is almost 20 years old. Some functions no longer work and newer SW is not available.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Sibstr wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:25 pm
Przekątny wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:16 pm The map can be installed in Base Camp and MapSource.
Instruction:
Yes, I have read this guide, unfortunately on Windows 11 and MapSource I was not able to install it successfully.

To check if the map is suitable for Etrex SE, I can send you one or two
regions in the .img file, I can send you the whole map.
gps_techie

Sibstr wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:25 pm
gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 pm Cities are actually visible as round points only (no stars, crosses or anything else) on eTrex SE screen (depends on a zoom level).
Cities with a star icon should be only that largest with a population of 5+ million, such as London or Paris etc.
I found that in the very center of a screen (circle target) bigger circles change into slightly smaller ones (so it can show a bit more circles in that area) when moving up/down or left/right. London is not visible as a bigger circle or a star, it is more like a collection (bigger density) of circles. So at least two sizes of circles can be on a map. This seems to be FW functionality, not *.IMG feature.

Screen capture did not work on map when many cities are around center - holding "OK" & "back" together moves to the screen with list of cities and then screen capture is made of that list.
gps_techie

See example of big & small dots on the map view.
Big dots around, small dots in center
big dots, smaller dots in center.png
BTW, there is FW update to 3.10. eTrex SE restarted few times, update went smoothly. Now bigger cities are visible as bigger dots by default, there is more animations when changing views, some settings changed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

I have little progress in compiling the TOPO map for the eTrex SE. I have modified map data that the eTrex SE should display without issue. But I have problem with map ID. In order for the GMAPBMAP.IMG file to function properly in eTrex SE, it must contain two .IMG files/maps. One map must have the map ID "CITIES" and the other "F0071BLA". And there is a problem, all the SW I use can only save the map ID in the format 8-digit, decimal or hex prefixed with "I" letter.
So I have ready data for the CITIES and F0071BLA maps, but I can't give them the correct map ID.
I tried some workarounds, but .IMG files use checksums and it always gives me an error.
Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Sibstr on Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gps_techie

Can you clarify at which point CRC errors appear? Map names can be changed via GPSMapEdit (full version with a license key) or probably via command line commands. CRC values are stored (or maybe calculated) in one of the files on eTrex SE memory - you could try changing those values to you .IMG CRC.
What do plan to put in .IMG file? So far I only saw icons for cities, but no country borders or anything similar.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

Error E029 appears when compiling the *.IMG file in GPSMapEdit 2.1. I also have GMapToool and the result is the same there. Changing map IDs via command line commands is beyond my knowledge. I would like to change the CRC values, but the file does not have "readable" data and I am not able to identify the CRC values. I should have an eTrex SE available soon so hopefully that will push me further.
What do plan to put in .IMG file? There are 6250 cities in my country but the map in eTrex SE contains only 10 cities. I added all the cities to the "CITIES" file. With the second file, I played more instead of borders, I added the height contour in steps of 20 meters, but that will need to be tested.
Error E029
Snímek obrazovky 2023-07-17 223141.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Sibstr wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:51 pm There are 6250 cities in my country but the map in eTrex SE contains only 10 cities. I added all the cities to the "CITIES" file
I do not know if Etrex Se like Exter 10 supports POI points in gpi files (maybe someone will check).
If it was supported, then adding points marking towns would not have to involve modifying the map, in devices that support POI points, you can add any points, geographical points, not only speed cameras.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

Unfortunately, according to all available information, the eTrex SE doesn't support POIs. That's why I'm trying to edit the integrated city map.

Return to “eTrex SE”