eTrex SE pause (autopause) feature is misleading

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
gps_techie

eTrex SE pause (autopause) feature is misleading

Unread post by gps_techie »

Hi,

eTrex SE has option to auto pause (to stop tracking activity log when device is not moving). Maybe your needs require this feature, but I suggest turning this feature off and always checking that pause is not enabled. Why? Because pause is a "great" way to miss your track log. There is enough internal memory to keep all points, even when there is no movement.

Several times pause seemed to be enabled from the turn-on for some reason and it didn't unpause even with movement, thus I lost some tracks. Notification about pause is very easy to miss (see screen shot). I still not sure why activity was paused, I did not pause it myself for sure. After turn-on always check for "pause" symbol presence.
pause symbol
pause symbol on screen.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Przekątny

Re: eTrex SE pause (autopause) feature is misleading

Unread post by Przekątny »

gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:12 pm Several times pause seemed to be enabled from the turn-on for some reason and it didn't unpause even with movement, thus I lost some tracks. Notification about pause is very easy to miss (see screen shot). I still not sure why activity was paused, I did not pause it myself for sure.
Autopase does not work well for hiking, but for cycling it works well. To "wake up" the device from autopause
a little more speed than walking is needed.
gps_techie

Unread post by gps_techie »

Przekątny wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:06 pm Autopase does not work well for hiking, but for cycling it works well. To "wake up" the device from autopause a little more speed than walking is needed.
I reached ~25-28 km/h at least, but even that is a very high speed IMO. Initially I thought this autopause feature removes random GPS drift (and resulting nonsense track log) when you are standing still and turn on when you move 50 meters or so from that location.
Definitely not useful for hiking (or anything else IMO). Potentially there is a bug with regular pause (with autopause off) - I will update if that repeats.
Przekątny

gps_techie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:08 pm Initially I thought this autopause feature removes random GPS drift (and resulting nonsense track log) when you are standing still and turn on when you move 50 meters or so from that location.
Definitely not useful for hiking (or anything else IMO). Potentially there is a bug with regular pause (with autopause off) - I will update if that repeats.
This is how autopause should work, but in hiking it is difficult to indicate the right speed, too low speed will cause frequent "waking up", and too high will result in no track record. In general, in alldevices, it is better to give up autopause when hiking. IN Gpsmap 67 may be a bug, the autopause speed may be too high,
even for cycling.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

So here we are, in an eTrex SE thread, making unwarranted statements about another device:
Przekątny wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:42 am IN Gpsmap 67 may be a bug, the autopause speed may be too high, even for cycling.
For the record, the GPSMAP 67 series allow the user to configure the desired speed threshold for activating auto pause. There is no bug.
Przekątny

Sorry, I didn't notice that the user is describing an event from Etrexa SE.
If it is possible, please correct my post, Gpsmap 67 on Etrex SE.

Return to “eTrex SE”