All Data Lost When Batteries Die [Bug 2]

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

All Data Lost When Batteries Die [Bug 2]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We were performing a battery runtime test on our eTrex SE v3.10, recording a tracklog at one second intervals, and had saved some screen captures at various intervals along the way. When checking the device status today we found the screen blank, indicating the batteries had run out of juice. We connected to our PC to copy saved data from the device so we could document the total run time for a set of common Alkaline batteries, and we were horrified to discover that all user data had been removed from our eTrex SE!

All Activity files, Gone!
All Courses, Gone!
All Geocaches, Gone!
All GPX Waypoints, Tracks and Routes, Gone!
All Screen Captures, Gone!

It appears all user data is lost from the eTrex SE in current configuration when batteries are run to their limit.

Anyone else experience this behavior yet?

Re: All Data Lost When Batteries Die [Bug 2]

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Does this also happen if you remove the batteries while the unit is on or when the batteries are removed but the unit was powered off first?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thus far we have not been able to reproduce by pulling batteries manually. Seems something happens when battery voltage gets low and causes a system reset to occur...
gps_techie

Unread post by gps_techie »

I have not experienced memory reset bug. But there is another bug in my experience that could be related.

eTrex SE sometimes turns on by itself after turning it off. Few minutes(+/-) past turning off it turns on back again. I have not seen it directly (because I was not looking for this specifically) but I found eTrex SE still turned on few times. Few times it was after end of trip, few times it was after uploading files to PC via USB. It is concerning when you find it running 10h straight, thus it can drain battery at the worst time for you.
Not sure how to reproduce this bug consistently. I am running latest FW.

Return to “eTrex SE”