Map Manager does not use Memory Card?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
JungleJim

Map Manager does not use Memory Card?

Unread post by JungleJim »

I was playing around with the Map Manager and thought it interesting to share some observations.

Main one is that Map Manager does not seem to take available storage on the memory card into account when downloading maps. Also it shows some strange behaviour when trying to download maps.

BTW great that world wide TopoActive coverage is available!

I tested with the following setup:
- GPSMAP 67 FW 4.70
- 32GB SD card
- TopoActive Europe installed on internal memory (around 10GB as shown in Map Manager)
- around 20 GB free on SD card
- no Outdoor Maps+ subscription

Some observations:
- Map Manager wouldn't let me install TopoActive North America, despite having enough free storage on the memory card. The unit shows a message that not enough storage is available
- installing a smaller map that fits on available internal space works correctly.
- after installing TopoActive North America with Garmin Express, Map Manager showed an update being available for the map. Downloading this update was not possible, instead displaying the message that not enough storage is available
- but after some messing around, Map Manager does not show update available anymore...
- Wi-Fi seems to stay enabled some time after turning it off in Setup > Wi-Fi. After a short while (didn't time it), the connection is dropped. This allows you to start a map download although Wi-Fi is disabled. Not a big issue but not really expected behaviour either.
- installing a map that fits on the internal memory works, but is quite slow. No ability to select where the map will be downloaded (internal memory or memory card), and it ends up at the internal memory
- Bug 3 seems to be fixed, but I was still able to end up in a non-responsive state when the message Requesting Map Data Update (or something like that, cannot remember the exact message) was displayed by navigating between the menus in Map Manager and the Wi-Fi Setup screen. This may be the same as bug 127 on the Montana 7x0?

As I do not have Outdoor Maps+, I could not fully test that, but adding Satellite Imagery does ask you were to save the download imagery. So the functionality is there I guess :)

All in all I think Map Manager is a useful addition for users without access to a computer but I guess it needs some further iteration to make it working well.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Map Manager does not use Memory Card?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please visit GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > Map Manager > TopoActive Maps > Storage Location for details on how to configure the desired map download location.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Thanks, I’ll try out that setting.

I almost get the impression that different teams at Garmin are working on features. Why not consolidate selection of download location for TopoActive Maps and Outdoor Maps+ into a consistent user experience?

Also personally I think selecting destination on download makes more sense than an option to select the destination for all TopoActive Maps.

But maybe Garmin has good reasons for this user experience? I guess only Garmin knows…
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We agree 100% that Garmin could be much more consistent here, and only they know why they have not been.

We are also investigating a suspicion that changing the download location after a TopoActive map is installed causes the downloaded map to be moved to the updated location, meaning all TopoActuve maps may only be in one location or the other. We are still working to confirm this behavior.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”