Garmin 'GPS Games'

Discussion related to activities not listed
lost

Garmin 'GPS Games'

Unread post by lost »

Several of garmin's older devices had some gps games installed.
The video below shows two of them.
Spoiler
I still have my old etrex legend so I can challenge my friends.
These games have disappeared on the newer devices and I can't find anything similar on the garmin iq store.

The only thing I can find is playing directly on the screen.

Is there a way to copy the games from my etrex to garmin's newer gps?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Garmin 'GPS Games'

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Wow, I do not recall the last time anyone mentioned these 'Outdoor GPS Games'. They were included on many of the Pre-Mass Storage devices, including the Geko, eTrex and GPSMap devices of the day. I am certain I have opened some of them out of curiosity, but I do not remember ever playing any of them.
eTrex Legend C Game Menu
eTrex Legend C Games Menu.png
Geko 301 Game Screens
Geko 301 Game Screens.png
When Garmin released the Colorado series in January of 2008, their first Mass Storage device, these Games were no longer included. Since the code for each of them is part of the device firmware, I doubt there is any real chance of copying them to newer devices. Even if someone where able to extract the ones and zeros from an older firmware image, they almost certainly would not work with modern device processors unless someone also crated a dedicated MAME interface just for that purpose.

Which game or games in particular did you enjoy playing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LostAgain

Unread post by LostAgain »

My ancient and still working GPS 60's have the same games on them as shown in your eTrex Legend C pic 8-)
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Cool, I wasn't aware, that such games even existed on Garmin devices. Really nice :-)
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
lost

Unread post by lost »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:04 am Which game or games in particular did you enjoy playing?
Memory race and virtua maze are my favourites.
I hope that more people who have older Garmin dare to try some of the games, maybe more people would like them.

Geocaching and GPS drawing are two other things I like, but they require significantly more space.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

There are some games in the Connect IQ store, but availability varies by device.
lost

Unread post by lost »

I agree with that and I have found several that are really fun.

Unfortunately, there isn't much that works outdoors right now, but new things will come as time goes by. Maybe there will be something in the future.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You could try contacting the authors of some of the games you like from connect IQ site and request they duplicate the older games. Worst they can do is say no.

Return to “Other Activities”