Update GPSMAP 66sr on Linux (without Windows/OSX)

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
Pathfinder

Update GPSMAP 66sr on Linux (without Windows/OSX)

Unread post by Pathfinder »

I do not have access to Windows/OSX. All my friends upgraded to Linux already.

I expected that I can update the firmware via wifi, but I do not get a notification about updates. The weather updates work fine via wifi.

Is it possible to update the firmware via sdcard? I could not find anything about this on the Garmin websites.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Update GPSMAP 66sr on Linux (without Windows/OSX)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please visit GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Firmware, read everything there, then return here and let us know if you still have any questions.

:)
Pathfinder

Unread post by Pathfinder »

Thank you very much for the howto.

The device runs software version 3.80 and I tried first the section Wireless Updates from your link.
Wifi is fine, but even after hours online and a power cycle, it does not notify the user about an update.

Next I tried GCD Updates
The howto explains: Current (non beta) firmware updates are available directly from Garmin using the URL https://download.garmin.com/software/GPSMAP66sr_xyz.gcd

The files are not available on the mentioned URL (tried several version numbers)

Code: Select all

wget https://download.garmin.com/software/GPSMAP66sr_550.gcd
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
Next I could try to get the file via

Code: Select all

wget https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP%2066sr/files/GPSMAP%2066sr%20B3694%20550.zip   # no spaces in the file name would be nicer
# unzip
sha512sum GPSMAP\ 66sr\ B3694\ 550.gcd 
5fa7f1e4ce511cd9a0eb273bf2b34abdb3375d34b6ec04453ac0ec00a69fb7dcf0d7bdc63fd5b96e32f23c30a310b7a3c217802187e84c0b97b3c2b83be7cce6  GPSMAP 66sr B3694 550.gcd
But I could not verify this hash yet. Please do not take it personal, but I think one should always be cautious about the source of firmware files.
I hope that I find a way to verify the hash in the next days.

Next I had a look at GPS Chipset Type ?? (xxxx) Software Update History
but I could not find a source for the update file. My GPS runs on 2.00.05 now.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

(I am also a Linux-only user)

First, I would not update to v5.40 or v5.50. I had problems with acquiring satellites with those versions, as did other people. I ended up downgraded to v5.20, and I'm happy with that version. Maybe stop at v5.20 and wait for the next release?

Second, I also found that the download links from Garmin which are on this site do not work starting after v4.90. They probably moved the files or set up something else to block direct downloads. The only way I found to get firmware with Linux is to download from this site, gpsrchive.

Third, as far as I know the GPS Chipset firmware comes with the regular firmware. That is, when I updated to v5.40 and v5.50 and then back to v5.20, the GPS Chipset version changed. It isn't a separate download/upgrade.

Fourth, there are no checksums that I know of to verify against. The zip file's internal checksum will indicate a good download, but beyond that it's just a matter of having to trust.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

You can install Windows in a VirtualBox. If you not present a serial key then it displays a permanent watermark that the installation is not licensed but it does not hinder you on updating your devices.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”