66sr Multi-GNSS Poor Performance [Bug 66]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
luvvinbird

Re: 66sr Multi-GNSS Poor Performance [Bug 66]

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Matijs wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:07 pm
luvvinbird wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:45 pm Thank you! I just ordered one.
Hey Luvvinbird,
you will not be disappointed I think, apart from everything I faced in my journey I think now it's running pretty stable but the initial part can be a struggle sometimes.

Tip:
when you want to add a separate microSD card, order a low speed card (so a class 10 U1 card).
Got a high endurance card first, then sandisk extreme (both high speed cards) but got some replies from Garmin that they do not support these cards, and that issues may appear in copying maps from basecamp etc.
So don't go for the more expensive ones but buy this lowspeed card from the beginning (it's 6€ vs 10€ on amazon fi if you buy sandisk, so not a huge difference).

Get yourself a separate card reader to transfer maps / birdseye images from basecamp
(better/faster is to transfer maps simply by copying the .img files into the garmin folder on your SD card rather than installing from basecamp (had some issues with that which are not resolved currently...especially larger maps fail).

get to know the GPS / MultiGNSS workaround and don't get too frustrated if you startup the device in multignss and no satellites can be located.
By now, a well known bug (also for Garmin) so we're all awaiting the firmware fix that should solve this.

Enjoy your garmin device and all hikes you do with it!
Thank you! Very much appreciated.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I have had one for two years now and I think you will love it. The only issue I have is that once I got everything set up and running how I wanted it, it has been on autopilot since. I am sure I have forgotten almost everything I learned when setting it up in January of 2021. Fortunately, I asked a lot of questions here back then so if needed, I can go back and re-read the answers.
luvvinbird

CheminerWill wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:08 pm
I have had one for two years now and I think you will love it. The only issue I have is that once I got everything set up and running how I wanted it, it has been on autopilot since. I am sure I have forgotten almost everything I learned when setting it up in January of 2021. Fortunately, I asked a lot of questions here back then so if needed, I can go back and re-read the answers.
Yes. This is a great source for all things Garmin. It was reading about the satellite "work around" that sealed the deal on whether or not to purchase the 66sr.
Matijs

Unread post by Matijs »

Hey all,

yesterday I noticed that my 66sr suddenly was finding satellites on startup in multi-GNSS.

Today I started my 66SR again, and once more, it immediately found satellites in multi-GNSS mode.
(left this setting on yesterday on purpose to test multiple times).

So where in the past weeks quite a lot of us suffered from no satellite lock when the device settings were on multi-GNSS this seems to be resolved now ? (just mentioning this carefully here, I haven't noticed an update passing by so still not entirely sure that it's actually resolved now).

Anyone else noticed that it is working better now?
Boom-Stick

Unread post by Boom-Stick »

Matijs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:57 pm Hey all,

yesterday I noticed that my 66sr suddenly was finding satellites on startup in multi-GNSS.

Today I started my 66SR again, and once more, it immediately found satellites in multi-GNSS mode.
(left this setting on yesterday on purpose to test multiple times).

So where in the past weeks quite a lot of us suffered from no satellite lock when the device settings were on multi-GNSS this seems to be resolved now ? (just mentioning this carefully here, I haven't noticed an update passing by so still not entirely sure that it's actually resolved now).

Anyone else noticed that it is working better now?
Over the past four or five days, my 66sr (firmware v5.50) has been consistently acquiring satellites rapidly at bootup in Multi-GNSS mode, no need to use the workaround at all. Several uses / power cycles per day.

The first time I used it it took a while as it had been a while since I'd used, and CPE was out of date. After acquiring, and updating CPE, i've not experienced the bug in five days. No new firmware loaded and haven't even connected to Garmin Express in a few weeks.

Will be interested to see if if the bug resurfaces.
luvvinbird

It hasn't worked for me unless it takes longer than five minutes. After waiting at least that long, I went back to the workaround and had fully functional GNSS and Multi-Band within ten seconds. I purchased my 66sr only after hearing about the success of the workaround so, to me, it kinda feels like that method is the way it was meant to be. Of course, I know that isn't correct and I hope that "the fix" will come soon enough to end a long, frustrating period for many users.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

luvvinbird wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:19 pm I hope that "the fix" will come soon enough to end a long, frustrating period for many users.
It will :D
Matijs

Unread post by Matijs »

software version 5.70 has been released which contains the fix for this well known issue.
(Got informed by Garmin and they confirmed that the fix is included in this update).

Happy testing all!!

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”