Galileo initialization became Slow [Bug 71]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
Gadwin

Re: Galileo initialization became Slow [Bug 71]

Unread post by Gadwin »

GPSrChive wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:53 pm Be certain you have removed any existing EPO.BIN and/or CPE.BIN files from your 66sr, then place the provided CPE.BIN in the GPSMAP 66sr\Garmin\GPS\ directory.

CPE.BIN
CPE 221129.zip
Thank you for the file. But I still have at the beginning CPE "missing" and later CPE "expired". It was never shown the status "current". Also I noticed, that it found the Galileo satellites really fast, but the initial accuracy was 15m for around 5minutes, which is way worse than before. Without the file I have a initial accuracy at 3m until it finds some GPS satellites with L5, then I have an unstable accuracy of 1.8m and stays stable at 1.8m if I find Galileo satellites.

By the way I also tested, what will happen with the file, if connect it to wifi the device. I still get the EPO.bin file and the CPE.BIN file stayed.
Last edited by Gadwin on Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Gadwin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:29 pm By the way I also tested, what will happen with the file, if connect it to wifi the device. I still get the EPO.bin file and the CPE.BIN file stayed.
Both are in the \Garmin\GPS\ folder?
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Yes, so I put the CPE.BIN file into the GPS folder, EPO.bin was deleted. Disconnected from pc the device. Turned it on, turned wifi on, waited a bit, connected to the pc again and looked directly into the GPS folder. CPE.BIN was still there, but I think it was not changed and the EPO.bin file appeared again.
Last edited by Gadwin on Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

And your Setup > About page still displayed "CPE: Missing"?
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

At the beginning "missing" after being located "expired".
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

So after sync through garmin explorer app with a smartphone by a friend, i have the CPE status "current" and it found really fast all satellites even in my flat with accuracy of 2m, what is normal since it is in my flat. So it works like at the beginning again.

But I had to turn the device off and on again after the sync, before I could finally enjoy the power of the CPE.BIN file.

The CPE.BIN file which I got through the garmin explorer app is twice as big, which you sent me. In anycase to depend on a smartphone was not what I wanted. I hope, that I can in future sync my device trough garmin express at pc.

So after all, it was Bug 65, which is for a non-smartphone user really painful. Thank you for your help, I hope you can push garmin somehow to solve this bug as fast as possible.

And big thumb down to german garmin support, just saying, that there no known problems with GPSMap 66sr and telling me, the device is full functional. But thumb up for the english garmin support, who even tried to replicate the Bug 65 and opened a case.
Last edited by Gadwin on Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

@GPSrChive, you said, that EPO.bin file is not for the 66sr, what I can confirm, that it has no function at all. But for any strange reason the german support sent me the CPE.bin and the EPO.bin file and said, that I should place both of them into my GPS folder.
Just a folow up of my contact with the german garmin support.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Gadwin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:06 pm Thank you for your feedback, but I think I have still a unique issue? First of all, German Garmin support said, there are no known issues with Galileo, ok, but the support was not really helpful anyway.

Second there is a strange behaviour with my CPE Status: I even downloaded manual the EPO file here
Spoiler
When I turn on my device, first of all the CPE Status is "missing". After finding the first GPS satellites, GLONASS is next and still no galileo, the CPE status is changing to "expired". Is that normal? I don't think so.

This happen everytime, when I turn my device off and on.
What would be interesting is to have the Get EPO.exe in Get CPE.exe, if we could have the source code to modify.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

This issue of slow satellite initialization will be resolved in an upcoming firmware release.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Is it known, when this update will come?

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”