66sr Won't Find Satellites. [Bug 66]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
JungleJim

Re: 66sr Won't Find Satellites. [Bug 66]

Unread post by JungleJim »

To add to this, I’m experiencing this issue as well. My device (purchased new around five weeks ago) will also intermittently take a long time (around 10 minutes) to acquire a signal after having been turned on. It does not happen always, maybe 1 out of 10 times?

The satellite page does not show any satellite when this happens. CPE shows as current. Device software is current latest versions (5.50 and 2.00.06 for the chipset).
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

FYI

Do not return your GPSMAP 66sr to the retailer or Garmin for replacement for this issue.

This is not a hardware issue, this is a software issue, and it will be resolved with a future firmware update.

Replacing the device will not resolve the issue.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

BTW, I just noticed that the GPSMAP 66sr is no longer listed in the Garmin Canada website (as of this date and time). Only the 66s, 66st, and 66i are shown. A search of the 66sr comes up with the 66s and 66st only, although the 66i is there, too. Maybe they're just updating the website or maybe there's a sale coming. Alright!!
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I just finished a chat with Garmin Canada. The 66sr is not available to purchase from the Canada or U.S. website at the moment. There apparently is no "add to cart" feature for that item. B/O is the likely cause. Odd that I can search and find it on the U.S. site but it has disappeared from the Canadian site.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Still 7 available from the GPSrChive Store!
harnishco

Unread post by harnishco »

Garmin did confirm in an email to me that they are "currently looking into the issue" and that I would be notified when the issue is resolved. Good to know they are looking it in. Still really happy with the device.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Mine still in 5.20 has no problem with satellites except when the CPE is out of date, it's much longer and the number of satellites is low or you have to wait a very long time, that's why I don't have it. haven't updated to 5.50. I will wait for the next version to see if it improves things.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Cal_Lucas

Unread post by Cal_Lucas »

I’m having the same issue since updating to v5.50 - do we know how hard Garmin are working on a fix for this and how long it might be before it is rolled out? The reason I went for the sr was specifically for the multichannel GNSS capability, and I am currently having to revert to GPS-only without multichannel to ensure that it is reliable when I’m in the mountains, which is a great shame- I’m feeling like I could have saved money and bought the 66s instead.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The 66sr is superior in every way to the 66s/st. Garmin will correct this issue soon.
harnishco

Unread post by harnishco »

Cal_Lucas wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:09 am I’m having the same issue since updating to v5.50 - do we know how hard Garmin are working on a fix for this and how long it might be before it is rolled out? The reason I went for the sr was specifically for the multichannel GNSS capability, and I am currently having to revert to GPS-only without multichannel to ensure that it is reliable when I’m in the mountains, which is a great shame- I’m feeling like I could have saved money and bought the 66s instead.
Once I turn mine on, I can switch it over to Multi Band/GNSS and it works without issue. It's only when turning it on with Multi-Gnss/band on already that it has an issue. Until the setting is cycled off and on. However, mine seems to be working as of the last few weeks. I've been leaving the setting on and havn't had any issues. Garmin did tell me they were working on it. But no time estimate.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”