66sr Won't Find Satellites. [Bug 66]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
RiverVanSpot

66sr Won't Find Satellites. [Bug 66]

Unread post by RiverVanSpot »

A couple of days ago my 66sr installed an update. I believe this was to the 5.50 software, but I'm not completely sure. Afterwards I used the 66sr to track my bike ride in the morning and synched to my phone when I was finished; everything worked normally.

Eight hours later I tried using the GPS again to track my ride back but it wouldn't acquire any satellites. I left the GPS on and just started biking thinking that by the time I got home it would have acquired satellites again, but that didn't happen. I followed the steps on the Garmin website and did "autolocate" and left the GPS outside with a clear view of the sky for nearly an hour while I cooked dinner. After that hour it still hadn't acquired any satellites.

Next I performed a reset by holding down "enter" and "page" during power on and after the reset it had acquired satellites and determined my location within a minute. So now everything seemed to be working fine.

It was a few days before I tried using the 66sr again, but it worked completely fine right up until the end of my ride. I got home, stopped recording, and tried to synch to my phone. The synch failed and now the issue of not acquiring satellites was back.

I unpaired the GPS and my phone, re-paired them, and the synch worked but it still wasn't acquiring satellites. I tried autolocate again; nothing. I did another reset and it again acquired satellites and my position in less than a minute.

I haven't had a chance to use the GPS again since it was raining this morning, but I wanted to post here to see if anyone else was having a similar issue. I've emailed Garmin support but I probably won't hear from them for a few days. Any ideas?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 66sr Won't Find Satellites. [Bug 66]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The next time you observe this behavior, please save screen captures of the Setup > About page (with firmware version) and the Satellite page (showing no satellites) at multiple intervals, to demonstrate how long the device continues to operate without a signal. Please share those images here or email them to webmaster at GPSrChive dot com.

Thank You!
RiverVanSpot

Quick update just for information's sake.

After I got home yesterday I turned the GPS on and it worked fine. It acquired satellites in less than a minute inside my house. I let it sit for a little over an hour and checked it periodically to see if anything would change but it worked the entire time.

This morning before heading to work I turned it on and it didn't have any satellites. After waiting two or three minutes I took a picture of the screen, put it in my bag still turned on, and biked to work. At some point during the hour it took me to get to work it acquired satellites.

Shortly after that I had to walk from my building to another and I brought the GPS with me. It acquired satellites in no time at all, tracked my walk and synched to my phone without issue.

So for now everything works, and I'll update again if it stops working.
RiverVanSpot

Yesterday morning (14 June) I used the GPSMAP 66sr without issue. On my trip home it once again was unable to find satellites. After getting home I power-cycled the unit and let it sit for somewhere around 30 minutes at which point it had found two satellites but it lost them a short time later. This morning it again couldn't find any satellites. I've attached pictures below.

A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The Garmin software engineers would like to know which firmware was loaded before updating to 5.50, and if you use an Android or iOS phone with the 66sr.

Thank you.
RiverVanSpot

I don't remember for certain what firmware was on the device before I loaded the 5.50. Is there a way to check?

I have the 66sr paired with an iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 15.6.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

No method I am aware of to verify the previous firmware revision, Thank you!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Also, are you aware your GPSMAP 66sr can save screen captures to internal memory?

Setup > Display > Screen Capture > On

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr for additional information.
RiverVanSpot

Also, are you aware your GPSMAP 66sr can save screen captures to internal memory?
I was not aware, thank you!
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Following this acquisition problem, I do not update mine especially since it is just a waypoint display problem, which is not proven here.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”